And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2016, 02:33:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2016, 02:29:54 PM
Aside that, he could have been white.  Just like Picard could have been British.  A French captain who doesn't like wine, drinks tea and loves shakespeare?  C'mon.

That bugs me to this day.  I know Roddenberry initially wanted his captain to be French, but as soon as he cast Patrick Stewart in the part he should have immediately changed the character's background.

The future just realized what the Hundred Years' War tried to teach us, that the best French man is an English man :P

But yeah, I found that odd too.  Especially when they introduced his brother who was more French.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

They have androids and warp travel, but you think a Frenchman who showers too unrealistic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Christmas movie viewing:

Die Hard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2016, 02:33:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2016, 02:29:54 PM
Aside that, he could have been white.  Just like Picard could have been British.  A French captain who doesn't like wine, drinks tea and loves shakespeare?  C'mon.

That bugs me to this day.  I know Roddenberry initially wanted his captain to be French, but as soon as he cast Patrick Stewart in the part he should have immediately changed the character's background.

It's 400 years in the future with a one world government that is pretty clearly dominated by an Anglophone monoculture.  Makes sense to me.

Also, "Far Beyond the Stars" is one of the best DS9 episodes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Watched Hateful Eight and found it very tedious and uninteresting.  Is that New Zealand stunt chick banging Tarentino?  Cuz she certainly can't act.

Ed Anger

11B4V

Watching Ripper Street.

Cool factor just went up in S1E5 involving the Whitworth Rifle.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Sure, but can you bull's-eye womp rats with it like your M-16 back home?

FunkMonk

Watched HBO's Conspiracy for the umpteenth time. Such a feel-good holiday masterpiece.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 13, 2016, 09:38:21 PM
Watched HBO's Conspiracy for the umpteenth time. What a feel-good holiday masterpiece.

Yeah, Lean Sigma had nothing on that little working group.

CountDeMoney

Just makes you wish we developed the bomb faster. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2016, 09:40:52 PM
Watched HBO's Conspiracy for the umpteenth time. What a feel-good holiday masterpiece.

Heydrich was a Six Sigma black belt.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2016, 09:52:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2016, 09:40:52 PM

Heydrich was a Six Sigma black belt.

:lol: :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.