News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Watched the 45 minute season 3 premiere of Star Wars Rebels.

Kanan is suffering from self doubt after losing his eye sight after the fight against the inquisitors, Maul, and Vader on Malachor. Ezra, now a bit more aged, is taking on more responsibility and uses the Sith Holocron to become stronger and therefore help his friends. The Empire is bringing in the 7th Fleet under Grand Admiral Thrawn (voices by Lars Mikkelsen, Mads's brother) to deal with the pesky cell.

Good opener. The main action focuses on recovering a bunch of Y-Wings for the Rebellion, while the conflicts of Kanan and Ezra (internally and with each other) seem to be mended by the end of the episode - remains to be seen if this sticks or if it's temporary.

It also dips into Force mysticism again by having a (the?) Bendu show up (voiced by Tom Baker), representing the center or neutral ways of the Force. One aspect I like about Rebels is that it is going more into Force mysticism on several occasions, much more so than Clone Wars. (And Jedi-Bendu was an original name for the Jedi Knights in Lucas's early scripts.)

I like the addition of Thrawn - you can't always have Vader or Tarkin show up, because you risk losing their impact or making them look ineffective. The original Inquisitor was pretty decent as a foe, the replacements in season 2 IMHO less so, and having now Thrawn as tactical and strategic mastermind is a good move, I guess.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I was hoping they would push Ezra toward the dark side a little more.
Maybe, eventually merge his character with Starkiller of the Force Unleashed series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Yeah. But Maul features prominently on the Season 3 poster, so maybe there'll be more dark side temptation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Watching Deadpool.  The opening credits are bossanova, the CGI and stunts are reasonable, the chick is smokin', and the wisecracks are not doing it for me.

Liep

Alec Baldwin pretty much was Trump in the SNL presidential debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nQGBZQrtT0
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Dynasty is getting a reboot. I do not know how to feel. Leaning towards ill.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on October 02, 2016, 03:47:59 AM

Feels like they fumbled a bit. Could have been much funnier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 12:34:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVnBBjjjAnY

The new Thor is made by the same guy who did What We Do in the Shadows and it shows in this short. :lol:

Yes it does.  :D

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on October 02, 2016, 03:47:59 AM

I thought it was good. Trumpeteers are complaining that it was too easy on Hillary, but I think this is spot on - she is the competent, sane alternative that is also complete unlikeable. :P

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2016, 04:03:57 AM
Dynasty is getting a reboot. I do not know how to feel. Leaning towards ill.

There is only one Alexis and Crystal.

crazy canuck

I watched Deadpool yesterday - it was very funny.  I hope there is another one in the works.

CountDeMoney

Westworld starts tonight.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2016, 03:00:50 PM
Westworld starts tonight.

What is it about? I saw ads on my HBO GO.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2016, 03:00:13 PM
I watched Deadpool yesterday - it was very funny.  I hope there is another one in the works.

It is in the works. The movie raked it in so we'll probably get sequels until any kind of freshness is sucked dry, in pure Hollywood fashion.

But yeah, the first one was pretty funny.