News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Saw the first episode of Last Chance U, liked it a lot although the rest of the family weren't interested unfortunately. Not understanding Yank football or the college system didn't really get in the way.

Admiral Yi

Watching Sisters, with Tina Fey and the chick from Parks and Rec.  I'm a Tina Fey fan in general, but this is not very funny.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2016, 02:42:20 AM
Watching Sisters, with Tina Fey and the chick from Parks and Rec.  I'm a Tina Fey fan in general, but this is not very funny.

I think her movies have generally been a bit of a disappointment. Actually same of that 'chick', Amy Poehler.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

My biggest problem with Daredevil is that the villains (Kingpin, Punisher, even Elektra) are more interesting that the main character himself. Although that's something that happens with a lot of superheroes. Part of the reason - besides the fact that the actor is very bland - is that I find the "I'm so OBSESSED with being a superhero that my personal life crumbles around me" drama very old hat, done countless times - and better - in other superhero stories. That said, it's still very enjoyable. D'Onofrio as Kingpin just slays it, really.

Jessica Jones is the real gem, imho. What a show.

Arrow seasons 1-2 was very entertaining trash. I really couldn't get into season 3 though.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2016, 03:22:59 AM

I think her movies have generally been a bit of a disappointment. Actually same of that 'chick', Amy Poehler.

What about Mean Girls? Fey wrote that one, and both Poehler and her appear on it on secondary roles.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on September 12, 2016, 04:04:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2016, 03:22:59 AM

What about Mean Girls? Fey wrote that one, and both Poehler and her appear on it on secondary roles.

Yes, that's one bright light.  But yeah, initially I was thinking about the movies where they are the leads. Actually, I never even gave Baby Mama a chance as that looked terrible.  Date Night was not so great.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Date Night is surprisingly mediocre given the cast and reasonably fun premise.

It's strange that she doesn't write more for film. Mean Girls is pretty good and she wrote that one - which remains her sole film writing credit AFAIK. And it's not like she hasn't won like a shitload of awards for her TV writing. :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 12, 2016, 07:25:59 AM
Date Night is surprisingly mediocre given the cast and reasonably fun premise.

It's strange that she doesn't write more for film. Mean Girls is pretty good and she wrote that one - which remains her sole film writing credit AFAIK. And it's not like she hasn't won like a shitload of awards for her TV writing. :hmm:

Agreed on both points.

Date Night is one I remember wanting to convinced myself that I thought was fun because, as you say, it had so much going for it on paper. Sadly though, it was middling.

Josquius

I really like daredevil.  Series 1 was brilliant. True. Matt is pretty bland. But then so was luke skywalker.
Though yes.  Jessica Jones is better.

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 11, 2016, 11:39:03 PM]
Hellish:adjective
of, like, or suitable to hell; infernal; vile; horrible:
It was a hellish war.
miserable; abominable; execrable:
We had a hellish time getting through traffic.
devilishly bad:
The child's behavior was hellish most of the day.

As to Arrow, I really liked Season 1, enjoyed Season 2, and have struggled to keep watching since.  The Olicity duo is horrible.
In common use I've never heard it in the negative sense, as logical as it may be. Always positive. As said maybe a british thing.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 07:39:05 AM
In common use I've never heard it in the negative sense, as logical as it may be. Always positive. As said maybe a british thing.

Weird because I just checked a couple British dictionaries and they note it as used to describe something as negative. One entry did have as an intensifier (hellishly expensive) but then that's also a negative.

Berkut

Just finished up Stranger Things.

Much better than I expected. Really well done and fun.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Saw a very good kid's movie (with my kid): Kubo and the Two Strings. Really beautiful animation. A somewhat dark storyline, may be scary for younger kids. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2016, 09:03:40 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 07:39:05 AM

Weird because I just checked a couple British dictionaries and they note it as used to describe something as negative. One entry did have as an intensifier (hellishly expensive) but then that's also a negative.

It's always been a negative as far as I know. Maybe it's different in the north east. Or maybe it's just Tyr.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2016, 09:22:42 AM
Just finished up Stranger Things.

Much better than I expected. Really well done and fun.

I thought so too.

I've seen some people comment that they were annoyed by the child actors. I thought they were very good. I really enjoyed the fact that they looked like actual kids - one thing I can't stand about many child actors these days is that they are chosen to look like miniature pop stars.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius