News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2016, 09:31:38 AM
Saw a very good kid's movie (with my kid): Kubo and the Two Strings. Really beautiful animation. A somewhat dark storyline, may be scary for younger kids.

Several friends of mine took their young-ish kids and they seemed allright. They are raving about the movie, will surely check it out once it comes out on video.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 12, 2016, 09:43:09 AM
Saw a very good kid's movie (with my kid): Kubo and the Two Strings. Really beautiful animation. A somewhat dark storyline, may be scary for younger kids.

Several friends of mine took their young-ish kids and they seemed allright. They are raving about the movie, will surely check it out once it comes out on video.

It's well worth a view. Though it is definitely a movie that gains from the big screen, I think.

By "young kids", I mean 6 or so; my 10 year old had no problems with it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2016, 10:01:47 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 12, 2016, 09:43:09 AM

It's well worth a view. Though it is definitely a movie that gains from the big screen, I think.

By "young kids", I mean 6 or so; my 10 year old had no problems with it.  ;)

My friends (who are in my age range) have all 4-6 year old kids. A sticking reminder of my celibacy  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Very rare to see a movie with a bard as the main hero.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2016, 11:53:51 PM
Season 3 was unwatchable.

It was already unwatchable midway through season 2, but I powered through.  The timing of world events and the glaring fuckups on how some of the procedural shit went down totally turned me off.

Liep

The Shallows, so it's not just ogling at a scantily clad Blake Lively it's also a hate crime on sharks, story telling, Mexicans, physics, plausibility, but she is wearing just a bikini for basically the entire movie: C-
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 12, 2016, 02:40:31 PM
the glaring fuckups on how some of the procedural shit went down totally turned me off.

Oh, yeah, of course. Just the worst.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Did you see it in 3D?  It is one of those movies which looks like it would be worth the extra price (and now drive since I've waited so long to see it).
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2016, 09:03:40 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 07:39:05 AM
In common use I've never heard it in the negative sense, as logical as it may be. Always positive. As said maybe a british thing.

Weird because I just checked a couple British dictionaries and they note it as used to describe something as negative. One entry did have as an intensifier (hellishly expensive) but then that's also a negative.

"Terrific" used to be a negative adjective.  Now it's fucktastically positive.  Shame, that.

11B4V

Rewatch of Star Farce: The Farce Awakens. C

Capt America: CW B+

Free State of Jones:B-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2016, 07:14:14 PM

I think she's kinda hot.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 07:14:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2016, 07:14:14 PM

I think she's kinda hot.

She is, but Mr JJ no imagination Abrams gets the C.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Star Wars: The Assburgers Awaken  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2016, 07:18:27 PM
She is, but Mr JJ no imagination Abrams gets the C.

Yeah, that's a real shame about JJ "We'll reboot it, and make it even more Star Trekky!" Abrams.

I think Michael Bay couldn't done a better original job storyline-wise, but that would involve an entire different set of war crimes.

CountDeMoney

Speaking of Star Trek, try to catch the new documentary on Smithsonian, "Building Star Trek";  really fascinating look on what they did for sets back then at the big television studios.  Such cheap pieces of shit.  :lol:  The guy at the Smithsonian trying to restore the big ship model just shakes his head..."it's all wood and glue, with more glue holding it together..."

They even interviewed the guy--an intern at UCLA at the time, now a professor there, imagine that--who participated in the disposal of the sets, including the Enterprise bridge, when the show was cancelled:  straaaaaight out the back, and into the dumpsters  :lol:  What wasn't hauled off was taken over to UCLA film school's production shop, and cannibalized for student film projects all throughout the 70s and into the 80s.  Said there could very well be a piece or two there still, you just wouldn't know what slat of pressboard came from Star Trek, or some other show.

It truly pains me to think of the bridge of the Enterprise used in student projects.  To know that such priceless works of Americana, used in a final exam for some snot-nosed little shit that probably went on to manage a Stuckey's....well, it just smacks of date rape.