News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I read somewhere that hospitals asked how the Star Trek doors worked, so they told them it was two guys pulling it open.

11B4V

Fuck what a depressing 2017 movie list.

Here's a couple for Seedy.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2016, 08:01:42 PM
I read somewhere that hospitals asked how the Star Trek doors worked, so they told them it was two guys pulling it open.

Ha; I was watching one of Leonard Nimoy's interviews, had to have been done just within the last 5 years, and he was recounting how he was on a PR/tour/photo op at Cape Canaveral--and all these engineers were explaining the nuts and bots of the space program to him, as if he was on the same level as they were.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2016, 08:02:15 PM

Jesus H. Tittyfucking Christ.  Not another one.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 08:28:03 PM

2018 is looking splendid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2016, 08:36:59 PM

Four more remakes of The Magnificent Samurai Seven?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 08:38:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2016, 08:36:59 PM

Four more remakes of The Magnificent Samurai Seven?

And Independence Day 3.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

11B4V

CountDeMoney

I am holding out tremendous great hope for that.  Did you see who the Man In Black is going to be? 

Alright, alright, alright  :lol:

11B4V

Yea, he needs that Texas drawl.

celedhring

Decided to go and force myself through Narcos' first season. Once I got used to the telenovella-level acting of most of the Spanish language cast (honestly, it's really bad), the show was pretty allright. My knowledge of the historical facts is cursory at best (I once helped out in the editing of a doc about Escobar), but it seems they really embellished a lot of the particulars and played a bit loose with the chronology. That said, the big picture seems authentic enough (to my limited knowledge).

The show's main success, imho, is managing to convey the descent into utter madness of the Colombian narco wars without actually being that gruesome itself. Escobar losing grip of his sanity as he becomes more and more murderous and paranoid is very well depicted, and Wagner Moura approaches the character with restraint, which helps - although I would still take Del Toro's Escobar above him. The show hurts a bit from the fact that they try to cover too much (10 years of war told from the povs of the Colombian government, the narcos, and the DEA - including a sizable amount of inter-agency squabbling) in just 10 episodes, so they zoom past some parts that could've been very interesting if devoted more time. Indeed, sometimes the show feels a bit like a documentary (there's extended sections of VO with archival footage documenting the historical facts) with dramatized vignettes that illustrate what we're being told.

Still, the show does a pretty good job of leaving you aghast with all the shit that went down in Colombia those years. So mission accomplished.

Now I'm starting season 2, and that one covers just 2 years in 10 eps. That should give the show more breathing room.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 08:28:03 PM

she'll change your mind:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Whats with the guy on the right :lol:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Fat nerdy comic relief. It's hardly an unknown stereotype.