And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh
Second series is a lot less good :(

Too bad. I guess I will give the first eps a go.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on August 29, 2016, 10:23:19 AM
Finished binging the first season of Broadburch. I was hooked throughout but I thought the resolution was a bit weak.[spoiler] I mean, the killer gives himself up out of guilt, which could've happened in episode 1. That makes the police work feel a bit pointless since they never get near the real killer on their own.[/spoiler]. It's not really a big indictment of the series because the police work is still the main catalyst which uncovers the town's little secrets that simmer under its peaceful surface, and the human drama is certainly interesting.

I suppose there's some additional wrinkles to be revealed in season 2.

No,not really.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Yeah, watched an episode and a half of season 2 and I couldn't get into it. Seems it's turning into Law and Order and the Sandbrook mystery seems a bit tacked on.

Gonna try Ray Donovan now. I'm actually running out of appealing stuff to watch in Spanish Netflix  :ph34r:

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2016, 10:12:58 AM
It is all Peter Jackson's fault isn't it? He showed that audiences love bloated films.

Well, it's gotta be Cameron, at the beginning: he was doing bladder-busters even back when they weren't in vogue--Aliens, The Abyss, T2 and even True Lies all top two hours, even in their theatrical releases, with savage cuts--and he wasn't getting punished for it. (Nor should he have been--but that goes without saying, right?)  Then there was Titanic, and, eventually, Avatar--but by the time Avatar came out, that kind of punishing runtime had been normalized.

Jackson definitely helped in the 2000s, but the LotR trilogy itself, I think, only showed executives that audiences loved bloated LotR movies.  (And Christ, do they ever. <_< )  I don't think King Kong's box office really swayed anybody one way or the other.

(Cel mentions Spielberg, but Jaws is just 125 minutes.  And the only Indy OT movie to top 2 hours was Last Crusade, and only by a little bit.  Spielberg's serious movies are all super-long, true--but that's been true of serious movies forever, which is why I don't think Apocalypse Now or The Deer Hunter or whatever really inform the length of Batman v Superman or whatever.)

But if you want to point to somebody who made two and half hours de rigeur for absolutely no fucking reason, then point at Michael Bay: nearly every film he's ever made, even in the 90s, has been unsupportably long.  So say everything you want about orange-and-teal color correction, shooting the whole movie at magic hour, quick-cutting, slow-motion, his grotesquely leering camera, etc--his worst sin as a filmmaker, by far, is his inability to produce a final cut of a length appropriate to the film he's making.  Hence a Transformers movie that takes almost as long to watch Schindler's fucking List.

Also: Hi Shaun!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

The funny thing was I saw the first two Bayformers movies, not in the theatre of course, and I barely remember much about them besides thinking they were idiotic even by the standards of an 80s childrens cartoon. Amazing they were that long with so little memorable content.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Wow an ideologue sighting! :cheers:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Last week's Mr. Robot

[spoiler]While it did what seems like some good setup, ultimately just a filler episode...[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2016, 04:44:54 PM
Last week's Mr. Robot

[spoiler]While it did what seems like some good setup, ultimately just a filler episode...[/spoiler]

Agreed. This season has been iffy overall
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 29, 2016, 03:19:52 PM
Gonna try Ray Donovan now.
It's a nice show, but by the 4th season, I feel it's getting tedious, more of the same.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2016, 10:39:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 29, 2016, 03:19:52 PM
Gonna try Ray Donovan now.
It's a nice show, but by the 4th season, I feel it's getting tedious, more of the same.
Nah, still pretty good.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Watched first two episodes of The Night Of. Really good so far.

Though the set up is a bit weak. No need for spoiler tag. Basically guy steals his dad's cab. The cab is shared between three different owners/operators.. Yet on a Friday evening in New York, it's parked at the curb. That's right. No one's workig the cab on a Friday evening. I guess Friday evenings are slow?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Been binging Rome.  Great tits, disappointing Cleopatra.

Gups

Seen 3 episodes of the Get Down. A very watchable mess. Stupid plot line, some terrible acting but great looking.