News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2016, 09:25:45 AM

This is the weirder thing for me. Americans watching Brit shows that haven't been on TV here for thirty years, see also Bunny Hill which I've literally never seen because it happened in the 70s.

Also the rebuke to Tyr is the American Office :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2016, 10:09:02 AM
see also Bunny Hill which I've literally never seen because it happened in the 70s.

I've also never seen Benny Hill. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

QuoteAlso the rebuke to Tyr is the American Office :wub:
True, if they hadn't remade the Office we'd have never got that.
But still, the remakes of stuff that is already in English... Just on principle its weird.

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2016, 09:09:15 AM
Anyway, the originally didn't seem very good so...
Peep Show is up there with the IT Crowd and Black Books as one of the best comedies of the century
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Do the British ever remake American shows and films?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 28, 2016, 12:09:04 PMBut still, the remakes of stuff that is already in English... Just on principle its weird.

Not really, it's not only about the language, but also about adapting the show to a different cultural environment, and British shows can tend to be very "British".

Josquius

QuoteNot really, it's not only about the language, but also about adapting the show to a different cultural environment, and British shows can tend to be very "British".
American shows are very American.

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
Do the British ever remake American shows and films?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.
I recall there were one or two attempts in the distant past that never got anywhere.

Plus gameshow formats of course, but that's a bit of a different thing.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 28, 2016, 12:50:39 PM
QuoteNot really, it's not only about the language, but also about adapting the show to a different cultural environment, and British shows can tend to be very "British".
American shows are very American.

Yet they "travel" better and are already made with a broader audience in mind. Also, like it or not, the American cultural hegemony makes them easily understandable/relatable/acceptable/whatever than British ones. Yet British shows still have their niches, like fancy period pieces, of which Downton Abbey is the flagship, or Sherlock, which is quintaessentially British. As for comedies, humour is a rather peculiar quality and sometimes it's not very relatable when it goes to another country. For instance I remember lots of British TV comedies in Spanish television (mostly in the regional channels) in the 80s, such as The Young Ones, Blackadder, Allo Allo etc, but hardly any nowadays.

I recall there were one or two attempts in the distant past that never got anywhere.

Plus gameshow formats of course, but that's a bit of a different thing.
[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_series_based_on_American_television_series

And the other way around:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series

Admiral Yi

I saw an episode or two of Law and Order: Pomegranates in Wigs.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2016, 10:10:49 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2016, 10:09:02 AM
see also Bunny Hill which I've literally never seen because it happened in the 70s.

I've also never seen Benny Hill. :P

You didn't miss much.  Old guy does titty sight gags. Chases bikinis around in fast forward to the same music for 20 years.  Tell people who swear to the superiority of British humor to go fuck themselves on the left side of the road.  Rinse, repeat.

viper37

I am in agreement with CdM on this.  Never found this show funny.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

The weakest part of Geronimo is Wes Studey.

The strongest part is the phenomenal horse riding and horse stunts.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2016, 04:14:26 PM

I saw an episode or two of Law and Order: Pomegranates in Wigs.

It all got 8 series.

Oh and of course, northerner Jos won't come to it but Geordie Shore took an American concept...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Star Trek, poorly written but good action flick

Admiral Yi

Just saw some of Gor for the first time in my life.