Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2016, 09:03:28 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2016, 05:42:14 PM
Independence Day is fucking terrible.

...He says before he even goes to see it, because as we all know, The Larch isn't so naive as to believe that Independence Day wouldn't be fucking terrible, and would be too intelligent to even bother to try to find out...

I meant the original one, which I've seen.

celedhring

I admit I haven't seen ID4 in something like 15 years, but back then it was one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Also, I have seen it being used as a model script in film schools, which I guess explains a lot  :lol:

Savonarola

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2016, 04:01:33 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 03, 2016, 01:26:37 PM
Star Trek Beyond (2016)

I didn't see the second one in the reboot series, but as compared to the first the Treknobabble has become considerably more egregious, and the deus ex machina Treknology at the end was so monumentally stupid that everyone with a STEM degree should get a free slap on director Justin Lin.

It's obvious that Lin was a director from the Fast and Furious series, since the focus is on fight scenes, explosions and chases.  The cast is enjoyable in their quieter moments, but those are few and far between.  As such the film isn't a bad action film; not one of the better Star Trek pictures, but enjoyable enough for what it is.

I was kind of amazed that most people reactions to the news that the guy who did 29 Fast and Furious movies was taking over the Star Trek franchise was generally very positive. Like what ST really needed was more brainless action and "cool" chase scenes.

I figured someone, either myself or them, was really missing the point of Star Trek as a franchise.

I am bummed out that it seems my fears were accurate, and ST has been turned into a shallow popcorn action flick even more so than ever...?

I thought it was more like The Fast and Furious XIII IN SPACE! than a Star Trek film; but there are certainly much worse Star Trek films than this one.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I saw the new Jason Bourne flick the other day. I thought it was pretty bad. The stunts and action scenes weren't particularly fun or inventive, the cartoonish CIA villains were embarrassing beyond belief, and the electronic surveillance plot seemed to be written by somebody that has no idea how those things actually work and just went by headlines and conspiracy theory youtube videos. The new revelations about Bourne's past aren't particularly compelling nor is his character arc. And they managed to make Alicia Vikander not look particularly hot. 

Savonarola

Monte Carlo (1930)

Jeanette MacDonald plays a countess who runs away from her would be groom on their wedding day (for the third time.)  She goes to Monte Carlo and loses what remains of  her fortune in a spectacular manner; fortunately a count (Jack Buchanan) has eyes for her and pretends to be a hairdresser to get close to her.  Ernst Lubitsch directs, and does what he does better than anyone else here; MacDonald gets some good songs in (including her signature piece "Beyond the Blue Horizon"), and Zasu Pitts (the model for Olive Oyl) provides some comic relief as MacDonald's maid.  The problem is that MacDonald and Buchanan have no screen chemistry; he's just not believable as a romantic lead.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2016, 08:23:56 PM
Hey look, kids!  More childhood rape!

https://youtu.be/fPOamb6d_20

What? Why? Who wanted this?

And oh my God I hate the jumping off a cliff onto the dragon cliche.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2016, 08:39:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2016, 08:23:56 PM
Hey look, kids!  More childhood rape!

https://youtu.be/fPOamb6d_20

What? Why? Who wanted this?

Getting a bit too upset for a movie aimed at kids. They'll enjoy it, isn't that all that matters.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Wasn't aware that Pete's Dragon was such a timeless children's classic. I want my Bedknobs and Broomsticks remake  :sleep:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Even when I was 7, was was rooting for zee Germans in that one.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 05, 2016, 02:11:12 AM
Getting a bit too upset for a movie aimed at kids. They'll enjoy it, isn't that all that matters.

Hey you were the guy who convinced me to go to the third prequel so fuck you :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."