News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Batman vs Superman. Not as bad as people have been saying. The villains were pretty weak though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Last night I watched some Michael cena film where he plays the typical Michael cena character. Teenage rebellion or something like that. I laughed.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Star Trek Beyond. Fun enough.

It seems, like the first one, to get more of the whole Trekiness. It has the same lightness of touch and the whole aesthetic is spot-on. There were problems with the plot - though even that seemed authentically Trekish where problems are solved with inexplicable techno-babble.

Also the villain is disappointing as are his motives. I want my actual post-colonial Star Trek film :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: dps on August 06, 2016, 04:34:17 AM
Well, just spending time with your kids isn't what I meant necessarily.  I meant doing things with them.  When I was little, my parents played games with us (stuff like Shoots and Ladders when we were really little, moving up to Monopoly and the like when we were a bit older).  I don't see parents doing that much anymore.  There were plenty of times when we were at my sister-in-law's place, and we might be playing cards with her an her husband, and the kids might be in the same room watching TV, but their parents weren't really interacting with them.

Plus, a couple of other things.  When I was little, basically everyone had one TV in the house, and the whole family watched it together.  Now there's a TV in every room, and a family of 4 might be in 4 different rooms watching 4 different things, or even all watching the same thing but in different rooms.  And after my little brother was born, our mom was a stay-at-home mom, and I find it difficult to believe that in families where both parents work they can possibly spend as much time with the kids as a non-working parent.

I have no doubt that kids today have almost no freedom and unsupervised play time as we had growing up, but I don't quite buy that that actually translates into parents actually doing stuff with their children.

And BTW, while I think kids should have more independence and unstructured play time, I also think that parents should actually play with their kids, so if you do spend your time with your kids actually taking part in activities with them, good for you.  And good for your kids, too.

Different folks did things differently. In my generation, parents did not normally play with their kids much - we were expected to play with other kids. Parents were usually busy with parent stuff.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Soup to Nuts (1930)

This is a one of a kind film that could only have come about in the early days of sound movies.  Rube Goldberg wrote the screenplay about an inventor/comic shop owner who's down on his luck; also there's a firehouse where comic hi-jinks ensue, the two worlds intersect only tangentially.  Plus there's a love story.

The manager of the shop is played by vaudevillian Ted Healy and the firehouse boys are played by his vaudeville partners the comedy team Three Lost Soles: Howard-Fine-Howard.  Yes, that Howard-Fine-Howard, this is the first film appearance of what would become The Three Stooges.  The act is quite different than their later movies; Shemp Howard is the leader (he would leave the act (and be replaced by Curly) due to Healy's alcoholism.)  The Stooges sing three part harmony and exchange quips with Healy.  This was probably their vaudeville act.  The Stooges hit one another, but nowhere near as often as they would in their later shorts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Not sure if live theatre is allowed in this thread - but if it is - we saw Sweeny Todd at the Shaw Theatre is Niagara on the Lake on the weekend.

It was: bloody good.  :D I'm not usually a fan of musicals, but this was a good show.

We spent the balance of our time (and a few hundred bucks) going around to wineries and tasting and buying wine. A very enjoyable way to spend a day or so.  :)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

A show called Naked Attraction on channel 4. What the actual hell.
I just stumbled on it randomly. It seems to be a dating show where a man just judges a bunch of naked women bit by bit.
Oh Britain :(
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2016, 04:59:15 PM
A show called Naked Attraction on channel 4. What the actual hell.
I just stumbled on it randomly. It seems to be a dating show where a man just judges a bunch of naked women bit by bit.
Oh Britain :(

It goes both genders but yeah they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. At least no one is eating a bug.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Requiem for a Dream.

This is one of those films that I have really distinct memories of first watching at sixth form. It was in my friends attic conversion room, we were a group of moderate pot-heads who'd all had a couple of joints and been to the pub and then switched this film he had on. We didn't smoke anything else that night. It and La Haine are the two that I really distinctly remember opening my eyes to good films.

Think it holds up.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2016, 07:17:52 PM
Think it holds up.

You know what else holds up?  Jennifer Connelly's ass HOLDING UP THAT DILDO YEAH BABY YEAH

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2016, 07:20:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2016, 07:17:52 PM
Think it holds up.

You know what else holds up?  Jennifer Connelly's ass HOLDING UP THAT DILDO YEAH BABY YEAH
While I was writing that post I was thinking, who'll be first to comment on the ass-to-ass scene: Ed or CdM?

Well done :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Pfft, that fucker's on the other side of the planet, asking people through his iTranslate app where all the dirty panties vending machines are.

Admiral Yi

Far From the Madding Crowd.  What a dreadful story.  Pretty young girl inherits a farm, is proposed to by a manly hired hand, then by the older rich land owner, then falls for the pretty boy cavalry sergeant.  I found the main character totally unappealing.

Am getting into The Night Of on HBO.  Anyone else watching this?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2016, 07:52:48 PM
Far From the Madding Crowd.  What a dreadful story.  Pretty young girl inherits a farm, is proposed to by a manly hired hand, then by the older rich land owner, then falls for the pretty boy cavalry sergeant.  I found the main character totally unappealing.

Am getting into The Night Of on HBO.  Anyone else watching this?

Which film version?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"