News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Link does work.  I recommend you quit being such a faggot.  Mobile sites are for homos.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 28, 2012, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: PRC on October 28, 2012, 01:03:17 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2012, 09:51:38 AM
Finally, finally watched Cowboys and Aliens.  And finally found a movie that Harrison Ford couldn't save.

Although Olivia Wilde makes so many things in life tolerable.

You must not have seen anything Harrison Ford has been in since 1994... and i'm being generous by including Clear and Present Danger.

HOW DAR U QUESTION RANDOM HEARTS  :mad: :mad: :mad: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Not only the worst Harrison Ford movie, but the worst movie of any kind, in the history of all mankind.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2012, 08:33:38 PM
Link does work.  I recommend you quit being such a faggot.  Mobile sites are for homos.

Does work? Good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2012, 08:08:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2012, 08:36:59 PM
The end of The Thick Of It. Unbelievable TV. I want the whole thing on DVD now. And I second Gups' recommendation, especially for CdM. "One of the many, many things that baffles me about you is that you remain unmurdered."

Watching this from the beginning now. I think I'll like it as so far (though I know it came many years before it) it reminds me a lot of Veep.

Ah just read that it is by the same man. That explains the similarities. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2012, 08:34:43 PM

Not only the worst Harrison Ford movie, but the worst movie of any kind, in the history of all mankind.

Any movie that has Kristen Scott Thomas getting her sublime cougar ass fondled in jeans is a gem.

Eddie Teach

Still better than 2/3 of the movies Matthew McConnaughey's done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2012, 08:35:31 PM

Does work? Good.
Doesn't work.  I recommend that I stop fucking up my posts, before I end up all faggoty.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2012, 08:52:44 PM

Still better than 2/3 of the movies Matthew McConnaughey's done.
McConnaughey admits he does most of his films just for the money. And that makes the crap okay. Even if it's a sad waste of a good actor.

Rampart again. Very good. It's becoming a favourite.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2012, 09:02:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2012, 08:35:31 PM

Does work? Good.
Doesn't work.  I recommend that I stop fucking up my posts, before I end up all faggoty.

:lol:

Y'all will have to tolerate my weird posting style for awhile. Brought to you by apple and autocorrect.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Well they answered that question on Walking Dead today. Apparently zombies do starve.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2012, 09:51:38 AM
Finally, finally watched Cowboys and Aliens.  And finally found a movie that Harrison Ford couldn't save.

Although Olivia Wilde makes so many things in life tolerable.

You must not have seen anything Harrison Ford has been in since 1994... and i'm being generous by including Clear and Present Danger.

I protest.  What about Hollywood Homicide?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2012, 09:54:02 PM
Well they answered that question on Walking Dead today. Apparently zombies do starve.

Goddamnit, I don't watch it until after Sunday Night Football.

Then again, that's not a big spoiler.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2012, 01:24:38 AM

GET OFF MY FORUM!

:P

I mostly agree with you, but Air Force One was fun, Six Days Seven Nights was watchable and Indy 4 would have been ok with a lesser pedigree.

When was Regarding Henry.  So sad. :( :( :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2012, 08:47:01 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 28, 2012, 12:59:55 AM

Yo, Joe, do you hate these newfangled cardboard sleeves as much as I do?  About need a pair of Goddamned pliars to pull the discs out.  What was wrong with plastic?

YES.

They're the worst thing ever. They're not meant to keep putting the discs in and out from. Pretty stupid design. I'm sure some accountant figured, "if we make these sleeves 1/10th mm smaller than necessary we save $100K."

See, with the scratching that is said to occur--I'm pretty sure I nicked one of my Indy discs--I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a class action.  They maybe ought to have run it through legal too.

I watched Lolita today, or Siegebreaker: The Movie.  OK, what is it about James Mason that every woman he meets wants to put his Humbert Humbert inside them?  Besides Dolores, there's Charlotte Hayes, the Farlow woman, and it's possible even the woman who came to his door to complain about the 120 decibel fight with the stepdaughter she thinks he's fucking was hitting on him, too.  I'm just not seeing the appeal of a fish-faced guy with bad teeth and a leering problem.  Anyway, I liked it.  I expected, after reading some material on how the film treated its protagonist, to develop more sympathy for Humbert, but he's really rather dreadful, especially once he becomes Lolita's keeper.  Maybe the advice seems misplaced, but, dude, that's not how you're supposed to act in a relationship.

Negative-wise this movie has a really unfocused middle 45 minutes and Peter Sellers's Clare Quilty may be the most unappealing character I've ever seen in a movie (excluding, of course, Battle Royale II); he reaches Jar-Jar levels of deliberate annoyance in his first scene and he has far surpassed it by the time he starts masquerading as Dr. Strangelove and a state policeman because his Quilty-sense has alerted him to the presence of a fellow ephebophile (and it must have been some pervert shining, because he has no evidence to back up his suspicions except Humbert is HOLY SHIT TRAVELING WITH HIS DAUGHTER?).  Peter Sellers is of course supremely talented; and I suspect only a supremely talented individual could be as obnoxious as Quilty is in this movie.  It was wise to open with the scene of him getting gunned down because he asks for it with every second he's talking in this movie.

One last word, I want to mention the funniest scene I've witnessed in a movie in a while.  As you know, Humbert's creepy fondness for Lolita is recorded in his diary, because he's, I dunno, profoundly retarded; and said diary is discovered by his wife; but, before she can reveal anything to anyone, Charlotte Humbert is killed after storming out of the house and into the path of a speeding auto.  The cut from Humbert standing in the rain over Charlotte's corpse while the cop laconically informs him that his wife is dead to Humbert sitting happily in the bathtub trying to drink a scotch with his pecs is, well, it's hilarious. B+

I have also now watched all of the Planet of the Apes movies within about a week's timeframe.  They are surprisingly good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)