And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2024, 08:00:04 PMWar of the Rohirrim

https://youtu.be/gCUg6Td5fgQ?si=FIhlO557rzG520kK

I don't mind the idea of telling stories in Middle Earth as animation. But why does the animation quality seem so bad and choppy in the trailer? It's almost like if it's running at 12 frames per second (like some shitty cartoons do to save on production costs by halving the number of frames the studios need to produce.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Guess its like the Fantastic Four movies. They needed a way to keep the rights but didn't want to spend money on it.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 25, 2024, 04:58:39 AMGoing for that Warren Beatty level of petty rights control, eh?  :lol:
Terminator... :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2024, 10:28:55 PM

The man has no respect for Tolkien anymore.  :(

That looks dreadful.
If you are referring to Peter Jackson, I can not see his name attached to the project in any form:
War of the Rohirim

He's not an executive of WB and Afaik, he does not own a controlling share of New Line Cinema.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2024, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2024, 10:28:55 PM

The man has no respect for Tolkien anymore.  :(

That looks dreadful.
If you are referring to Peter Jackson, I can not see his name attached to the project in any form:
War of the Rohirim

He's not an executive of WB and Afaik, he does not own a controlling share of New Line Cinema.

He's an executive producer, according to your link.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

QuoteThe film trilogy's director, Peter Jackson, and co-writer Fran Walsh were not officially involved in the new film,[7] but Boyens used them as a sounding board for ideas,[3] and they were being credited as executive producers on the project by June 2024

Here is why he appears as EP.

No direct link with the project outside of the source material.  Which is bad enough according to you and other purists. :P :P

Josquius

I've never been into star trek tos.
Though I saw this list today.
https://www.slashfilm.com/1648185/star-trek-the-original-series-worst-episodes-ranked/

And I notice the first tos episode I tried to watch is top of the list of worst episodes (woman body swaps kirk) :lol:

In other news I finished house of the dragon series 2. It's good.
Though all the foreshadowing and prophecy stuff... Interesting they show clips from GOT in there. As... The way tv game of thrones handled it was such an anti climatic the prophecy doesn't matter, let's just forget about it, sort of way.
Also those last scenes of s2... Such a teaser trailer for s3, I doubt they'll show much of it.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2024, 06:54:45 PM
QuoteThe film trilogy's director, Peter Jackson, and co-writer Fran Walsh were not officially involved in the new film,[7] but Boyens used them as a sounding board for ideas,[3] and they were being credited as executive producers on the project by June 2024

No direct link with the project outside of the source material.  Which is bad enough according to you and other purists. :P :P

New Line owns the rights to the movie production of Lord of the Rings materials.  According to your link this was rushed through production so that the rights were not lost.

It is hard to believe Jackson did not know about the rush to produce when he became involved.  But more to the point, I don't know what you mean when you say that an Executive Producer (and someone being paid as such) has "no direct link with the project".  Of course there is a direct link - that is why he is being credited.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on August 25, 2024, 07:37:35 AMThat's an interesting and believable premise, which also explains why they went after it on the cheap.  That doesn't excuse Dunlandings with elephants, though.

There, seemingly, is a vaguely reasonable explanation:

"The inclusion of giant elephant-like mûmakil in concept art for the film led to concern from some fans that the film was inserting the armies of Harad into the story when Tolkien did not mention their involvement. Boyens acknowledged that the appendices do not explicitly mention forces from Harad in this story, but felt their involvement could be inferred since Tolkien mentions enemies of Gondor arriving to aid the Dunlendings and elsewhere in the appendices he includes Harad as one of the enemies of Gondor in this time period. The writers also interpreted Tolkien's description of the Dunlending leader, Freca, as being wealthy enough to afford mercenaries from places like Harad as well as the Corsairs of Umbar, another enemy of Gondor."

While not perfect, at least it isn't nearly as bad as I had first thought, going off similar concerns as the one you expressed.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2024, 02:51:21 PM

New Line owns the rights to the movie production of Lord of the Rings materials.  According to your link this was rushed through production so that the rights were not lost.

It is hard to believe Jackson did not know about the rush to produce when he became involved.  But more to the point, I don't know what you mean when you say that an Executive Producer (and someone being paid as such) has "no direct link with the project".  Of course there is a direct link - that is why he is being credited.

Many EPs don't have direct relationship with the project they are credited in. When it comes to film, it's a very loose and poorly defined credit that is sometimes used in contractual horse-trading, as a vanity credit, or marketing. A good example is how John Carpenter is still credited as EP of the Halloween movies even though he himself has repeatedly said he has zero involvement in those.

viper37

EP don't always have a link to the project.  They are often attached to the project so they receive a salary, or in this case, possibly royalties because they use part of his work, the sounds of the movies.

As per the Wikipedia page, he did not write anything on the movie, he did not direct or produce or took part in any editing.

He is given credit because the movie used sounds from the original trilogy.

Again, unless I am mistaken, he is not a majority shareholder in WB or an executive of those studios.

I look at the page and I see:
[th][/th]
[th]Directed by[/th]
Kenji Kamiyama
[th]Screenplay by[/th]
  • Jeffrey Addiss
  • Will Matthews
  • Phoebe Gittins
  • Arty Papageorgiou
[th]Story by[/th]
  • Jeffrey Addiss
  • Will Matthews
  • Philippa Boyens
[th]Produced by[/th]
  • Philippa Boyens
  • Jason DeMarco
  • Joseph Chou
[th]Production
companies[/th]
  • New Line Cinema
  • Warner Bros. Animation
  • Sola Entertainment

And again:
 The film trilogy's director, Peter Jackson, and co-writer Fran Walsh were not officially involved in the new film,[7] but Boyens used them as a sounding board for ideas,[3] and they were being credited as executive producers on the project by June 2024

HVC

In that case does John Carpenter get an cash for the use of his name?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on August 26, 2024, 05:10:29 PM

Many EPs don't have direct relationship with the project they are credited in. When it comes to film, it's a very loose and poorly defined credit that is sometimes used in contractual horse-trading, as a vanity credit, or marketing. A good example is how John Carpenter is still credited as EP of the Halloween movies even though he himself has repeatedly said he has zero involvement in those.

You are raising a different issue - is it ethical for an EP to get a credit?  My point is that they have a direct relationship by virtue of the fact that they are getting credit and so it is entirely appropriate for them to take part of the blame for a terrible production.  To argue otherwise is an argument that it is entirely ethical and appropriate for an EP to get credit for a good production but avoid any consequence for a poor one.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 26, 2024, 05:10:29 PMMany EPs don't have direct relationship with the project they are credited in. When it comes to film, it's a very loose and poorly defined credit that is sometimes used in contractual horse-trading, as a vanity credit, or marketing. A good example is how John Carpenter is still credited as EP of the Halloween movies even though he himself has repeatedly said he has zero involvement in those.

Let's hope it's a case of, "Hey, can we use your name? We will finance your next pet project if you let us." kind of deal. :P

Maybe it's also as a sweetener because they use quite a bit of LOTR footage to hype the trailer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2024, 05:19:30 PMIn that case does John Carpenter get an cash for the use of his name?

He does get paid handsomely for each of these since he still holds some rights to the original. The EP credit is probably Universal throwing him extra to give legitimacy to the movies. I suspect the Peter Jackson credit is just that, too.

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2024, 06:22:23 PMYou are raising a different issue - is it ethical for an EP to get a credit?  My point is that they have a direct relationship by virtue of the fact that they are getting credit and so it is entirely appropriate for them to take part of the blame for a terrible production.  To argue otherwise is an argument that it is entirely ethical and appropriate for an EP to get credit for a good production but avoid any consequence for a poor one.

Fair enough.

The thing with the EP credit is that it's not as "regulated" as other important credits (via union contracts or the MPAA rules), while still sounding kinda important. So in many instances it's used as an asset, not an actual credit.

Note that I don't want to discredit (pun intended) the many EPs that you'll see in each movie that actually put in the work to make the production happen.