News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I mean it's watchable, I think. I mentioned previously in the thread I think watching clone wars gives a better viewing just because you care about the character. Don't need to watch the whole thing.  If you want all the back story rebels would help too (but I think it's less necessary).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on August 15, 2024, 02:45:30 PMI mean it's watchable, I think. I mentioned previously in the thread I think watching clone wars gives a better viewing just because you care about the character. Don't need to watch the whole thing.  If you want all the back story rebels would help too (but I think it's less necessary).

I'd say it's definitely the opposite. Ashoka is almost a live-action season of Rebels, so that background is more important than Clone Wars.

HVC

You can catch along rather quickly, I think. I just think caring about the character is more important
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 15, 2024, 03:38:19 PMYou can catch along rather quickly, I think. I just think caring about the character is more important

I watched both shows and I cared more about Sabine. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

:D

I was indifferent to Sabine. Although it annoyed me that *see spoiler below*

I liked cartoon Hera, not so much live action.

**SPOILER**

she's another character that survived a saber stab. Say what you will about Acolyte,  but at least light sabers were deadly again.

Darth Wagtaros

Last season of Cobra Kai. First episode was a little bland. But so far its been just as bat shit crazy as ever.
PDH!

Syt

Finished S3 of Only Murders in the Building. It was still fun, but the weakest season so far IMHO. That said, Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep were excellent. S4 starts next week, I think, and it will have the group travel to L.A.? Not sure how I feel about it, though they will surely find a way to shoehorn folks from the building again somehow.

Halfway through S3 of The Bear. Liking it very much, though it seems to lean a bit into an arthouse style even more than S1/2? :D I mean, 1st episode was a collage of background info and flashbacks set to an ambient Nine Inch Nails song, and episode 3 was a 1 month montage set to classical music. :D

The John Cena cameo kinda pulled me out of it, though.

Music remains excellent, however. And only realized while looking at some of the tracks in detail that one song from S1 (Serengeti - Don't Blame Steve) foreshadows Jimmy's (Oliver Platt) S2 monologue about Steve Bartman catching undue flak for the 2003 playoff, and that the Cubs used it to deflect from their collapse during the game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident
:nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I finished series 2 or Our Flag Means Death.
Meh.
There's a small handful of funny moments but the show seems to have changed more into a weird little romance/drama psych thing than a comedy.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin

I liked it.  Had some levity.  Had some areas that were a bit dull. Don't know that I'd be excited about another season coming out, but i'd probably still watch it.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2024, 10:28:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2024, 08:00:04 PMWar of the Rohirrim

https://youtu.be/gCUg6Td5fgQ?si=FIhlO557rzG520kK

The man has no respect for Tolkien anymore.  :(

That looks dreadful.

Looks like the kind of thing you would just drop on HBO Max. The rumor (which I find plausible) is that they are putting this on theatres to meet some contractual obligation to keep the rights license from expiring. It's been 10 years since The Battle of Five Armies.

Sophie Scholl

Going for that Warren Beatty level of petty rights control, eh?  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2024, 04:50:32 AMLooks like the kind of thing you would just drop on HBO Max. The rumor (which I find plausible) is that they are putting this on theatres to meet some contractual obligation to keep the rights license from expiring. It's been 10 years since The Battle of Five Armies.

That's an interesting and believable premise, which also explains why they went after it on the cheap.  That doesn't excuse Dunlandings with elephants, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017