News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Although I feel like if you gave, say, Gaspar Noe or maybe even Haneke access to it they could do something interesting (terrifying).
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 05, 2024, 08:56:51 AMYeah, I can't imagine a 4DX screening of, say,  Ozu's "Late Spring" being that much worth it.

Maybe it can spin you when it cuts to the vase or something.

4DX screening of a Rohmer movie?  :hmm:  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2024, 09:07:56 AMAlthough I feel like if you gave, say, Gaspar Noe or maybe even Haneke access to it they could do something interesting (terrifying).

Gaspar Noe? I barely even know her!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Still on Season 2 on Only Murders in the Building. I found myself way too engrossed and on the edge in a verbal sparring match between two women fighting over being president of the condo board. (And touched by a surprisingly emotional scene by Cara Delevingne.) :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Just finished Season 2 of Reacher.  More over-the-top ultraviolence, but it looks more like a spoof in season 2 than season 1.  The villains are just too villainous, the dialogue just too over the top (cop: "I'll make sure they spend the rest of their lives in prison" Reacher: "Not if I kill them all first") and the choreography just too absurd (punches miss by a clear foot, but the victim staggers back anyway). Guilty fun.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I liked series 1 of reacher but I just zoned out and lost interest in series 2 for some reason.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on August 06, 2024, 01:12:02 AMStill on Season 2 on Only Murders in the Building. I found myself way too engrossed and on the edge in a verbal sparring match between two women fighting over being president of the condo board. (And touched by a surprisingly emotional scene by Cara Delevingne.) :blush:
I liked that season. The third felt a bit tired. 
PDH!

Admiral Yi

So I grabbed Clone Wars off the desperation shelf Hillary.  It's watchable, but geez that Dora the Explorer dialogue chips away at my karma.

Josquius

Randomly watched the first episode of a show called Resident Alien.
Seems to have Lucifer vibes. But with an alien instead of the devil, a clichéd TV tiny but thriving rural town instead of LA, and he's a doctor rather than a detective... But still does detectiving.
I've really soured on the style of low - mid budget american Sci fi tv in recent years. They all feel so very samey and off. But this one amused me.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Rebel Moon part 1&2 (Director's Cut). Zack Snyder's take on the Boer Wars is a drawn-out mess where every scene is "super emotional" and slow-mo rules all. As usual the Brits are portrayed as the worst kind of scum.

I didn't know beforehand that the movies had a Warhammer 40k setting, which I enjoyed. Without that I might not have made it all the way through.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Alien: Romulus

Competently made as in no crappy CGI (maybe not so for "resurrected" character) à la Covenant, good practical effects, it is short on (new) ideas.
The Weyland-Yutani treatment of proles does get described though.

Feels like fan service all the time, mostly of Alien and Aliens but all other movies get a cue (pun intended). The cast may allude to a teen slasher movie (!) but that pitfall was avoided, mostly.
Don't watch this movie if you you don't like dark photography.  :P

Syt

Dead Man

Still such a wonderful trip with funny details, like the native "Nobody" quoting William Blake and getting told to stop with the Indian mystic gibberish. :D

And of course such a great cast, with many fun cameos. Besides Johnny Depp and Lance Henriksen you get Robert Mitchum, Billy Bob Thornton, Jared Harris, Gabriel Byrne, Iggy Pop, Alfred Molina, Steve Buscemi, Crispin Glover, Michael Wincott, John Hurt ...

... plus the music from Neil Young (which was apparently him just jamming alongside the movie :D ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2024, 04:14:07 AMSo I grabbed Clone Wars off the desperation shelf Hillary.  It's watchable, but geez that Dora the Explorer dialogue chips away at my karma.

It's gets better :D . But you only have to watch until you care about Ashoka. Then you can watch (and hopefully enjoy) the live action show.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Is ashoka watchable without watching Dora the clone trooper?
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I thought so, but I'm sure I missed some of the background stuff.