News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

We've sworn fealty to house this for more than a thousand years is a politician's wet dream to hear.

They need livestock for the dragons, but apparently, riding a horse to Vhagar is not that big a deal. Do dragons not eat horsemeat? Or did the horse also tame that dragon?

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2024, 03:31:15 PMWe've sworn fealty to house this for more than a thousand years is a politician's wet dream to hear.

They need livestock for the dragons, but apparently, riding a horse to Vhagar is not that big a deal. Do dragons not eat horsemeat? Or did the horse also tame that dragon?

Sometimes you need to be forceful to get a dragon and sometimes that will get you killed. Same with being fearful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2024, 01:55:36 AMSo... Robert Downey Jr is coming back to Marvel... to play Dr Doom  :huh:

That looks a bit desperate. Is there any relation between Doom and Stark in the comics? Is he really going to play two completely different main characters in the same universe?
Don't think so.  Latveria is a Transylvania style yet generic Eastern European place.  Dr Doom is a sorcerer as well as a scientist and engineer. 

This does sound kinda desperate. The MCU got its start with Downey, I guess they are trying to restaret i.t
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2024, 01:55:36 AMThat looks a bit desperate. Is there any relation between Doom and Stark in the comics? Is he really going to play two completely different main characters in the same universe?
Doom becomes Iron Man after Stark's death, apparently.

It could also be some multiverse stuff.  Or anything.  I'll wait and see.

Chris Evans played two different characters in the same universe, the Torch and Captain America.  I think there are others too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I know a lot of you guys don't enjoy super hero movies, but the new deadpool movie is pretty good. Just enough cameos and nostalgia baiting to give you a chuckle rather than be eye rolling. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 01, 2024, 10:48:55 AMI know a lot of you guys don't enjoy super hero movies, but the new deadpool movie is pretty good. Just enough cameos and nostalgia baiting to give you a chuckle rather than be eye rolling. 

Yeah, I want to see that one.  You know what you're going to get - a Ryan Reynolds movie - but they're entertaining enough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

It was enjoyable. Not too much replay value.  But a good movie to enjoy for a few hours.
PDH!

Savonarola

Godzilla vs Mothra (1992)

The film opens deep in a tropical jungle.  An intrepid explorer enters an ancient temple, where there's an idol set upon the altar.  He grabs the idol but, get this, the very moment he does the temple falls apart and he's forced to run and climb for his life.  Then, just as he escapes from the temple, he's greeted by a group of armed men.  I can't help but shake the feeling that I've seen something like this somewhere before, but I can't think where.  :unsure:

So our intrepid archeologist and professor who, I think was named Okinawa Jones, but I could have that wrong, is in jail for looting artifacts.  He's given a choice, he can stay in jail, or he can join his ex-wife (a bureaucrat in Japan's Bureau of Godzilla Affairs and a suit from Mega Evil Slime Corporation (whose principle business is deforestation) in exploring Infant Island.  Rather than doing what any sane person would do and staying in jail, he reluctantly agrees to join them.

On Infant Island they discover a giant egg and then two creepy one foot tall women come out and explain that it's Mothra's egg.  Tens of thousands of years ago earth was ruled by an enlightened civilization dedicated to the worship of Mothra and without wars or conflict; but man in his arrogance created a weather machine and the earth grew angry and created (why it got to be?) black Mothra, or Battra who destroyed the weather machine, and civilization as collateral damage.  Mothra defeated Battra and chaos reigned.

So Mega Evil Slime Corporation demands that the creepy women and the Mothra egg be taken to Japan.  As they are ferrying the egg back suddenly Godzilla attacks!  Just in the nick of time Mothra hatches and caterpillar Mothra does her best to take on Godzilla.  The battle is going badly when caterpillar Batra arrives and a three way battle on the open seas ensues leaving the monsters scattered.

Mega Evil Slime Corporation writes off the loss of the Mothra egg, but decides to keep the creepy women as their new mascots.  Okinawa Jones then kidnaps them and tries to sell them to a bidder from Ultra Evil Slime Corporations; but then Mothra attacks looking for the women.  Okinawa is confronted by his ex-wife and his hyper-cutesy daughter who promises the women that her daddy will quit doing bad things if only they tell Mothra not to destroy Tokyo.  Mothra does not, but instead builds her cocoon at Japan's Diet Building.

Earthquakes occur and Godzilla has been spotted.  A vice president of Mega Evil Slime Corporation informs the CEO that the life force of the earth has become angry with him and will destroy Mega Evil Slime Corporation.

Mothra, now in her imago form emerges, Battra also assumes her imago form and textile futures shoot through the roof.  They battle, but then Godzilla shows up and attacks Battra.  Battra and Mothra decide to join forces; and I think there's a real lesson here.  If Battra and Mothra can put aside their differences for the greater good, then we, as people, should be able to as well.   :)

Eventually they defeat Godzilla, though only by sacrificing Battra.  The creepy women reveal that Battra was due to awaken in order to stop a meteor from destroying earth, but the recent events have changed their plan and now Mothra must take Battra's place.  So they fly with Mothra through space looking for the meteor.  Hail Mothra!

This is the Heisei era version of the superior, though equally bonkers, Showa era one.  This is aimed at younger children than the previous Heisei films with the obligatory cute kid.  The environmental message is laid on with a trowel this time, it makes Captain Planet look subtle and refined.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

You should watch The Man in the Godzilla Costume now.
PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2024, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 01, 2024, 10:48:55 AMI know a lot of you guys don't enjoy super hero movies, but the new deadpool movie is pretty good. Just enough cameos and nostalgia baiting to give you a chuckle rather than be eye rolling. 

Yeah, I want to see that one.  You know what you're going to get - a Ryan Reynolds movie - but they're entertaining enough.

I liked the tongue-in-cheek tribute to Liefeld's peculiar style of drawing feet.  :P
Being a parody of super-hero movies also helps, with some fan service for comic book fans (old-schoolServal Wolverine fans, namely.
Still, the CGI blood is more than meh.

Sophie Scholl

I'm thinking about catching the 4DX 3D showing of Deadpool and Wolverine on Tuesday when they have a value day at the local theater. Turning that movie into a literal Disney ride experience with the 4DX (moving seats, smells, water, fog, and the like) and 3D should be a lot of fun.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 01, 2024, 10:48:55 AMI know a lot of you guys don't enjoy super hero movies,

I do.  The early Marvel ones at least. :)

I'll wait until it comes on 4k blu ray.  Not feeling like I want a trip to Quebec city right now. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 03, 2024, 05:56:47 PMI'm thinking about catching the 4DX 3D showing of Deadpool and Wolverine on Tuesday when they have a value day at the local theater. Turning that movie into a literal Disney ride experience with the 4DX (moving seats, smells, water, fog, and the like) and 3D should be a lot of fun.

Sounds interesting. How much more than the norm does it cost?
I must say it seems an odd choice of film for it though. It's not particularly set anywhere odd is it?

If I had time I'd consider going to the cinema for deadpool and wolverine. Reviews are mixed but I liked the precious deadpool. Probably waiting for streaming though.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I think it's about... $10 more? Give or take? Action movies tend to be the ones used most often as they make the best use of the available effects.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Yeah, I can't imagine a 4DX screening of, say,  Ozu's "Late Spring" being that much worth it.

Maybe it can spin you when it cuts to the vase or something.