News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2022, 07:02:26 PMAnd All Quiet on the Western Front has already slipped ignominiously off the Netflix home page.  Two movie duds in a row.

what was the first one?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

This should please some of the Languish crowd :P

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2022, 09:35:59 AMThis should please some of the Languish crowd :P

I laughed.
How the hell do people make this stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on November 29, 2022, 07:02:43 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2022, 07:02:26 PMAnd All Quiet on the Western Front has already slipped ignominiously off the Netflix home page.  Two movie duds in a row.

what was the first one?

The Gray Man.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2022, 04:01:33 PM

what was the first one?

The Gray Man.
Oh yeah, that was shit
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Twitter thread highlighting some of the "fun" details (including torch!): https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1597290024877182977

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

It's a bit like the painted Roman statues. Most people are oblivious to how colorful the European past actually was, because of constant media cliches/misrepresentations.

Threviel

Also candles and torches or small lit fires everywhere. Once I noticed it annoys the fuck out of me.

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on November 30, 2022, 04:00:20 AMAlso candles and torches or small lit fires everywhere. Once I noticed it annoys the fuck out of me.

Yes, a position you weren't afraid to share when we were watching that one fantasy adaptation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2022, 04:01:33 PM

what was the first one?

The Gray Man.

That's a weird take. I have no desire to watch it, but Gray Man is one of the most watched films ever on Netflix.

Also, I'd say that All Quiet has done well enough (100 million hours watched according to Netflix themselves) for a German language WWI movie.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 30, 2022, 04:26:22 AMThat's a weird take. I have no desire to watch it, but Gray Man is one of the most watched films ever on Netflix.

How bizarre.  I couldn't finish it.

Maybe you should watch it as an academic exercise.

Threviel

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2022, 04:05:20 AM
Quote from: Threviel on November 30, 2022, 04:00:20 AMAlso candles and torches or small lit fires everywhere. Once I noticed it annoys the fuck out of me.

Yes, a position you weren't afraid to share when we were watching that one fantasy adaptation.

I was afraid that I wasn't clear enough on the matter, good to hear that my message got through.

celedhring

Watched the first episode of Willow. It only works in bursts but the reviews for the overall show are good and you can see the willingness to make a light and charming fantasy show. I don't have much investment with the source material, but will give it a chance.

I'm sure the usual suspects will pick on the - so far strongly hinted - lesbian love story.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on November 30, 2022, 05:30:44 AMI don't have much investment with the source material, but will give it a chance.

Without having paid much attention to it, I was wondering who the target audience is. Are there many with fond enough memories of Willow?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!