News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

I absolutely love Willow and am super excited for the series. I had the toys, the super hard NES game, and spent way too many quarters on the amazing arcade game. Sorsha was definitely an early moment of, "Do I want to be her or be with her?" for me. It's just an immensely fun movie in my opinion. I've seen some less than stellar feedback so far, but it hasn't lessened my enthusiasm by much.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Willow holds up better than most 80s children's movies. Madmartigan and the brownies are hilarious. Sorsha :wub:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

The soundtrack does not help SAS.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2022, 06:44:34 PMThe soundtrack does not help SAS.

So long as passenger service is good and planes fly on time, people won't care about the SAS sound track.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Brain on November 30, 2022, 06:08:01 AMI've never seen Willow.
I think you would enjoy it. It's a fun fantasy adventure with a great cast.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 30, 2022, 05:53:04 AMWillow holds up better than most 80s children's movies. Madmartigan and the brownies are hilarious. Sorsha :wub:

That to me is the issue. I didn't really care at all about the plot or the lore or anything. It is just watching Val Kilmer be hilarious and his future wife be super hot and the practical effects which were amazing. It was a wonderful popcorn flic. But a new series will not have 1980s Val Kilmer (or even 2020s Val Kilmer due to his throat cancer issues) or amazing practical effects.

So it has to be its own thing, it has very little from the 1980s movie going for it. So even if it is great, it probably will be great in a totally different way than the original film was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Val Kilmer was actually set to appear but had to pull out because of the threat of Covid + his health.

I watched the second episode and - as somebody with zero attachment to the original material - I found it to be a pleasant light fantasy outing.

Barrister

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 30, 2022, 05:46:36 AMI absolutely love Willow and am super excited for the series. I had the toys, the super hard NES game, and spent way too many quarters on the amazing arcade game. Sorsha was definitely an early moment of, "Do I want to be her or be with her?" for me. It's just an immensely fun movie in my opinion. I've seen some less than stellar feedback so far, but it hasn't lessened my enthusiasm by much.

I feel like Willow is one of those things where I am just slightly too old to really go in for hard-core nostalgia.  It came out in 1988, so I was 13.  I remember going to see it in the theatre, I enjoyed it, but I'm not foaming at the mouth to see a sequel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

A bit disappointed so far; will watch episode 2 based on the word that it is better. But the character building, expedited in 20 minutes, seemed lazy and cliche. I really dislike when fantasy builds on tropes from suburban America ("but MOOOM, ugh, you're the WORST. "Go to your room, young lady" "I am NOT my dad"). It's especially jarring when mixed with the tropes and cliches of fairy tales. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2022, 01:39:52 PMI feel like Willow is one of those things where I am just slightly too old to really go in for hard-core nostalgia.  It came out in 1988, so I was 13.  I remember going to see it in the theatre, I enjoyed it, but I'm not foaming at the mouth to see a sequel.
Totally understandable. I was 6 when it came out in theaters, though I don't think I saw it till it the VHS release. It holds one of those strange places in my heart though. I shared a lot of the same interests with the other kids in my neighborhood, but Willow was one that was kind of uniquely mine. Others liked it, but probably no more than any other popcorn movie release. I never read the sequel book (prequel? I honestly don't recall) that George Lucas and Chris Claremont of X-Men fame collaborated on if memory serves. I may try to track it down and give it a quick read if I end up enjoying the series.

frunk

I saw Willow when I was 15, and over the course of its run in the local dollar cinema I think I saw it three times.  It was a combination of seeing it with different people and it being a cheap local source of air conditioning.

I liked it enough but can't say it left me with a strong impression.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 01, 2022, 01:41:18 PMI really dislike when fantasy builds on tropes from suburban America ("but MOOOM, ugh, you're the WORST. "Go to your room, young lady" "I am NOT my dad"

Are those particular to America?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

So, umm, I don't know if the movie is going to be any good, but you owe it to yourself to check out the trailer for Cocaine Bear.  The most honest movie title since Snakes on a Plane.

Just bananas.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 01, 2022, 03:25:21 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 01, 2022, 01:41:18 PMI really dislike when fantasy builds on tropes from suburban America ("but MOOOM, ugh, you're the WORST. "Go to your room, young lady" "I am NOT my dad"

Are those particular to America?  :huh:

No. Only to suburban America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."