News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Trailer for the upcoming Indiana Jones movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

I am: excited.

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on December 02, 2022, 11:07:08 AMTrailer for the upcoming Indiana Jones movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

I am: excited.

Oh god no. Leave it alone already, it belongs in a museum.

The Larch

Harrison Ford is 80, him trying to crack a whip in reality would be followed by a severely sprained shoulder. Stop trying to make him pass for an action movie star.

I mean, Sean Connery was 59 in The Last Crusade!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Pure CGI-heavy crap-fest, à la Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And yes, age plays a part.

I might watch it in a cinema, as the previous movie, for 2.5 €.  :P

Josquius

I liked crystal skull. Not best film ever material but a perfectly serviceable popcorn flick.

Thinking about the current trend for sequels of 80s films... It's odd isn't it? They didn't do this in the 90s for 50s/60s films or other match ups. They always just remade them.
I do wonder what the longest gap between a film and its sequel is?
Actual worthy films that is. Google tells me bambi 2. Fuck that direct to video Disney crap.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on December 02, 2022, 03:30:25 PMI liked crystal skull. Not best film ever material but a perfectly serviceable popcorn flick.

Thinking about the current trend for sequels of 80s films... It's odd isn't it? They didn't do this in the 90s for 50s/60s films or other match ups. They always just remade them.
Actual worthy films that is. Google tells me bambi 2. Fuck that direct to video Disney crap.

I'm thinking Mary Poppins - Mary Poppins Returns

EDIT: Thinking of it Disney also made a bunch of shitty straight-to-video sequels to its classics in the 2000s. Bambi 2 might take the crown.

celedhring

Yep, just googled a bit

Mary Poppins Returns: 54 years
Bambi 2: 64 years
Peter Pan 2: 49 years

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on December 02, 2022, 03:30:25 PMI liked crystal skull. Not best film ever material but a perfectly serviceable popcorn flick.

You have a shitty taste, that's all. Not that there is anything wrong or illegal with it, of course. :P
Crystal Skull is on the level of the Phantom Menace, as an artistic failure, with Crystal Skull having crappier CGI, after Episode I(not great but Lucas was experimenting).

QuoteThinking about the current trend for sequels of 80s films... It's odd isn't it? They didn't do this in the 90s for 50s/60s films or other match ups. They always just remade them.

The remakes of '80s movies have been awful till now (Total Recall Robocop). The sequels are more like reboots.

As for the remakes, there was 50 years between the original Scarface and the 1983 version.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 02, 2022, 03:39:59 PM

You have a shitty taste, that's all. Not that there is anything wrong or illegal with it, of course. :P
Crystal Skull is on the level of the Phantom Menace, as an artistic failure, with Crystal Skull having crappier CGI, after Episode I(not great but Lucas was experimenting).

QuoteThinking about the current trend for sequels of 80s films... It's odd isn't it? They didn't do this in the 90s for 50s/60s films or other match ups. They always just remade them.

The remakes of '80s movies have been awful till now (Total Recall Robocop). The sequels are more like reboots.

As for the remakes, there was 50 years between the original Scarface and the 1983 version.

For remakes I'm willing to bet on Les Vampires - Irma Vep (the Assayas movie). 80 years between those. There might be another remake in between though.

Eddie Teach

Did the two Scarface movies have anything in common, besides dealing with organized crime?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 02, 2022, 03:43:32 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 02, 2022, 03:39:59 PM

For remakes I'm willing to bet on Les Vampires - Irma Vep (the Assayas movie). There might be another remake in between though.

Les Vampires de Feuillade ? Serials so hard to remake.
The movie Irma Vep, is more of a tribute to the serials, though Assayas did shoot a mini-series closer in spirit to the original serials yet it's about a director trying to shoot a remake of Les Vampires.

:hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 02, 2022, 03:45:26 PMDid the two Scarface movies have anything in common, besides dealing with organized crime?

Illegal substance, alcohol replaced by cocaine, and foreign criminal, Italian gangster by Cuban gangster.
The whole incest angle is there as well, possibly less implicit in the original movie.

As far as remakes go, it's one of the best.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 02, 2022, 03:37:16 PMYep, just googled a bit

Mary Poppins Returns: 54 years
Bambi 2: 64 years
Peter Pan 2: 49 years

OK so Mary Poppins Returns probably takes the cake, but if you don't count direct-to-DVD sequels how about 46 years between the Wizard of Oz (1939) and Return to Oz (1985).

As I googled it apparently it isn't an "official" sequel, since the original was made by MGM, and the sequel by Disney.  Disney only bought the rights to the books, but did make a hefty payment to MGM in order to use ruby slippers (which apparently weren't in the books).

Man, I remember reading a whole bunch of Oz books when I was a kid.  I seem to recall they got pretty wacky as they went on...

As for remakes, probably hard to beat A Star is Born (1937-1954-1975-2018).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Crystal Skull was trash. Not even good as trashy TV. Just the kind of trash you are sorry you saw.
PDH!