News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Season finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 4 (the season about putting on The Producers with Larry as Max Bialystok). The whole season was excellent, but the finale, and esp. the meta twist/joke near the end was *chef's kiss* :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Despite the title and anachronistic heavy rock soundtrack, really enjoying SAS Rogue Heroes. A roughly accurate origin story

Josquius

I'm liking Reboot on Disney plus.

Basically a different spin on "Episodes". Quite funny.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Gups on November 17, 2022, 02:18:59 PMDespite the title and anachronistic heavy rock soundtrack, really enjoying SAS Rogue Heroes. A roughly accurate origin story

Gups, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a spin on iPlayer.

I knew an SAS adventurer, who used camels on one or more operations, though he wasn't old enough to hark back to the war years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I just watched a clip of a talk show in which Geena Davis said the other three finalists for Brad Pitt's part in Thelma and Louise were Mark Ruffalo, George Clooney, and a nobody.

HVC

Surprise mark has been around that long.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Ludwig.

Visconti's movie about Ludwig II of Bavaria, in the posthumously released 4 hour version (according to Wiki the cut was originally a butchered 3 hours at the behest of distributors, which was further cut by an hour in Germany because of "disrespectful" and "obscene" content, e.g. some minor male nudity, some gay stuff, philosophical discussions etc.).

The movie is slow, languid, overly indulgent in costumes and sets/locations (it's a Visconti passion project, what do you expect? :P ). Personally, I find it most notable for Romy Schneider reprising her role as Empress Elisabeth of Austria. She had portrayed her in a trilogy of saccharine 1950s romance movies; she came to resent being associated with the role so much that she only agreed to playing her again for this movie as a personal favor to Visconti, and because the script had her portray a more realistic and acerbic version of the role.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2022, 02:30:55 AMLudwig.

Visconti's movie about Ludwig II of Bavaria, in the posthumously released 4 hour version (according to Wiki the cut was originally a butchered 3 hours at the behest of distributors, which was further cut by an hour in Germany because of "disrespectful" and "obscene" content, e.g. some minor male nudity, some gay stuff, philosophical discussions etc.).

The movie is slow, languid, overly indulgent in costumes and sets/locations (it's a Visconti passion project, what do you expect? :P ). Personally, I find it most notable for Romy Schneider reprising her role as Empress Elisabeth of Austria. She had portrayed her in a trilogy of saccharine 1950s romance movies; she came to resent being associated with the role so much that she only agreed to playing her again for this movie as a personal favor to Visconti, and because the script had her portray a more realistic and acerbic version of the role.

Do you happen to know if this Ludwig is the same one featured in Royal Flash, the Flashman book featuring Lola Montez?

Syt

It's been a while since I've read the book, but pretty certain that she was the lover of Ludwig I, not II. I think the book was set way before German unification, whereas L2 only came to the throne in 1864 and died in the 1880s.

I've looked her up on Wiki and yes - she was with L1, and died in 1861, when L2 would have been 17. L1 reigned 1825 - March 1848, followed by Maximillian II 1848 - 1864, and then L2 1864 - 1886. (He in turn was followed by Otto 1886 - 1913 and then Ludwig III till 1918 when the monarchy was abolished.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Barbarian. Kept me off guard. Main chick (Georgina somebody) was a cutie. 8/10

Encanto. Meh. I know I'm not the target audience, but it needs a villain. Girl makes up with sister and grandmother. :yawn: 5/10
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Ludwig II discourse played a minor role in the early period of dating my husband.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2022, 06:47:26 AMLudwig II discourse played a minor role in the early period of dating my husband.

He's been very romanticized in the past as "Märchenkönig" (fairy tail king), though in his conservative home state of Bavaria they didn't want to hear anything about him being homosexual and considered it slander. Not sure how the mood about him is these days.

There was a bit of a revival of revering him in the 1950s, when German movies were often set in the late 19th century, the "good old times," pre-WW1, creating a romanticized image of the period. The Sissi movies, the 1954 movie about Ludwig II (which was painting a very ramantic, melancholy picture with no hint of homosexuality or other items that could have been considered controversial at the tim), a slew of 19th century operetta adaptations, along movies categorized broadly as "Heimatfilm", i.e. movies set in rural (southern) Germany or Austria, usually comedies or rmantic movies, at any rate "feel good" movies, often with musical numbers interspersed.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Wakanda Forever.

Wasn't bad.  I liked it.  Liked the first one better.

Somber piece.
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.