News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 07:02:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 06:54:53 AMVilleneuves Dune is amazing, don't be an old grumpy guy.

Ok, boomer.  :D
 :secret:
Grumpy old guys still await Jodorowsky's version.

Amazing?
 :lmfao:

Lynch's Dune is very imperfect yet has its charms, as in lively and over the top.
Villeneuve's is only amazing if compared to current CGI-crapfests and Marvel crap. Sorry for having higher standards.

Once again Duke de Brag with a terrible take! Take the L and move on!!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 06:49:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 05:53:33 AMActually I think it reminds me of Lynch's Dune - visually impressive but otherwise made by somebody who had zero interest in the source material. But I don't want to overemphasise the source material thing, if they made a good WW1 movie with the same title but nothing to do with the book I'd still like it. But this is just a bad, bad movie.

Lynch's Dune has been reevaluated following Villeneuve's dull Dune, so be careful.  :P
I liked the book so I am really wary of this new adaptation.  :hmm: 
Did you even see Villeneuve's Dune? :hmm:   "Dull" isn't what I would use to characterize it.

Anyway, it's a two part movie.  It stops abruptly mid-way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 15, 2022, 03:07:34 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 06:49:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2022, 05:53:33 AMActually I think it reminds me of Lynch's Dune - visually impressive but otherwise made by somebody who had zero interest in the source material. But I don't want to overemphasise the source material thing, if they made a good WW1 movie with the same title but nothing to do with the book I'd still like it. But this is just a bad, bad movie.

Lynch's Dune has been reevaluated following Villeneuve's dull Dune, so be careful.  :P
I liked the book so I am really wary of this new adaptation.  :hmm: 
Did you even see Villeneuve's Dune? :hmm:   "Dull" isn't what I would use to characterize it.

Anyway, it's a two part movie.  It stops abruptly mid-way.

You and your legendary bad taste in movies is better suited for movies such as Eurotrip.  :P

Unlike you, I did.  :P Dull photography, for starters, but that's Villeneuve for you (Villeneuve a sacred cow in Québec or what?). It's one point where Lynch's is totally different, for the better, cf. Tamas' "visually impressive" earlier on. I could also mention the casting, another advantage  for Lynch.

Of course, I did not see the second part, and you did not see it as well.
Happy?

Can't help if my opinion of Lynch's film improved quite a bit after watching Villeneuve's film. Maybe Villeneuve can salvage it with the second part. It's a hell of a novel (cycle) to adapt anyways.

Habbaku

"Dull photography" and Villeneuve? Okay, this is a masterful troll, but I think you should stop while you're ahead.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on November 15, 2022, 03:17:11 PM"Dull photography" and Villeneuve? Okay, this is a masterful troll, but I think you should stop while you're ahead.

Nonsense.  Those Cinematography Oscars (and Oscar noms) are proof that Villeneuve makes visually dull movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Habbaku on November 15, 2022, 03:17:11 PM"Dull photography" and Villeneuve? Okay, this is a masterful troll, but I think you should stop while you're ahead.

Fanbois triggered, in full ad hom mode, but this is not a troll. Desaturated photography à la Villeneuve (worked better IMO for Arrival not too bad for his Blade Runner) is a bit passé now and worse of all, dull.

As for the authority argument re: Oscars and Awards, it's just that so hardly enough.

Josquius

It worked well in dune I thought. Making well lit crazy fantastic stuff look real.

Less good is when it is done in movies taking place entirely at night. I like to see what is happening thanks.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

Finished watching Weird: the Al Yankovic Story.  The number of in jokes is really high, I can't recommend it to people that aren't familiar with Weird Al, but for those who are it should be a blast.

I never realized how bad a shot Madonna is.

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 05:21:13 PMFanbois triggered, in full ad hom mode, but this is not a troll. Desaturated photography à la Villeneuve (worked better IMO for Arrival not too bad for his Blade Runner) is a bit passé now and worse of all, dull.

As for the authority argument re: Oscars and Awards, it's just that so hardly enough.

While it is true that the authority of the Oscars is only that of professionals in the business, it is probably nt purely accidental that every Villeneuve film eligible for the Academy Awards (five of them) was nominated for the Best Cinematography Oscar and two of them won.

OTOH, the authority of your vague aspersions is.. somewhat less than that.  It is perfectly all right to dislike his work, but at least try to explain your dislike in terms that don't make you sound like a troll. Villeneuve's films are not desaturated (except maybe Sicario, which I haven't seen).  He does use cell stage lighting to control color, but that's not desaturation.

My criticism of Villeneuve is that he is too fond of throwing things at the viewer with no explanation.  No one I've talked to who hasn't read the book has said they have any idea of why the Emperor attacked Duke Leto - despite the fact that this was the driving story of the movie.  Okay, maybe I also thought some of the scene in the attack were way over the top as well, but it's an action flick at that point and I have the same criticism of almost all action movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 03:15:06 PMYou and your legendary bad taste in movies is better suited for movies such as Eurotrip.  :P

Unlike you, I did.  :P Dull photography, for starters, but that's Villeneuve for you (Villeneuve a sacred cow in Québec or what?). It's one point where Lynch's is totally different, for the better, cf. Tamas' "visually impressive" earlier on. I could also mention the casting, another advantage  for Lynch.

Happy?

Can't help if my opinion of Lynch's film improved quite a bit after watching Villeneuve's film. Maybe Villeneuve can salvage it with the second part. It's a hell of a novel (cycle) to adapt anyways.

1) Eurotrip is a masterpiece :P :P  I have yet to seed a better documentary on European cities than this :D

2) I disagree about the photography.  I think it is excellent, the way it shows the vastness of the space around, the infitness of the "sea" of Dune to compare to the "sea" of Caladan.  Everywhere he films outside, it shows the vastness, not enclosed space like it was shot in a backyard.

3) I did like Lynch's Dune.  I always did.  It was a really weird movie when it came out, it still is, but I still think it is underrated.

4) I do not think Villeneuve is a sacred cow; well, now he likely is, but he is a darn good director/movie maker when you give him the means (see Siccario).

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 05:21:13 PMDesaturated photography à la Villeneuve (
Ah.  You are a fan of the lensflare.  Should have said so to beging with! :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 15, 2022, 06:41:48 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 05:21:13 PMDesaturated photography à la Villeneuve (
Ah.  You are a fan of the lensflare.  Should have said so to beging with! :P

OK, now you are a Michael Bay fanboi. Stick to Villeneuve, please. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 15, 2022, 06:40:31 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2022, 03:15:06 PMYou and your legendary bad taste in movies is better suited for movies such as Eurotrip.  :P

Happy?

1) Eurotrip is a masterpiece :P :P  I have yet to seed a better documentary on European cities than this :D

I am not even sure it's a nanar comique masterpiece.
https://www.nanarland.com/chroniques/comedies-nanardes/teenage-comedies/sex-trip.html
Don't agree with the writer in general, except in this case:

QuoteEurotrip, c'est une expérience unique et fascinante, tout à fait le genre de films qui amène à l'esprit des dizaines de questions existentielles dont la plus persistante reste quand même "dois-je en faire une chronique pour Nanarland ou vais-je plutôt me décider à aller me pendre". Ceci dit, si vous lisez ces lignes, ne vous illusionnez pas trop. C'est surtout parce que je suis incapable de faire un noeud coulant correct.

Quote2) I disagree about the photography.  I think it is excellent, the way it shows the vastness of the space around, the infitness of the "sea" of Dune to compare to the "sea" of Caladan.  Everywhere he films outside, it shows the vastness, not enclosed space like it was shot in a backyard.
The lack of colour, saturation, makes it very generic. Sorry, it's an æsthetic choice that I am not too fond of, a bit too common these days.

Quote3) I did like Lynch's Dune.  I always did.  It was a really weird movie when it came out, it still is, but I still think it is underrated.
You weren't the one who criticized it, so there's no point in justifying yourself.
Mind you, it's a movie that made an impression on me when I watched it many years but it has grown on me lately, with new releases, remastered in UHD (Spicediver cut in 720P only however in Germany) leading to a rediscovery.

Quote4) I do not think Villeneuve is a sacred cow; well, now he likely is, but he is a darn good director/movie maker when you give him the means (see Sicario).

He wisely chose to stay away from the ludicrous Sicario 2 scenario as well. Not just a question of means.

The Larch

Just learned that Christina Applegate from Married with children suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.  :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on November 14, 2022, 02:45:38 AM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 13, 2022, 11:26:43 PMSo. I've been... not in the right headspace to watch movies or shows for basically all of this year. What are the top show and movie I should make sure to get to as a priority? I'm leaning toward Andor over HotD and RoP and maybe... Everything, Everywhere, All at Once for movie? I'm open to suggestions on both though!

Everything Everywhere... is by far my favorite movie of the year. Also very much a feelgood movie.

Andor is indeed better than those other two shows. HotD is decent-to-good, too.

I preferred Dragons, but both are better than the mediocre Rings show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?