News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It makes no sense how Alita was made. Its a 30 year old anime that was never even that huge in Japan let alone the west.
This might be an OK thing to make a film of if it was a interesting story that could be told on a low budget.... but a big flashy special effects reliant affair?

If Ghost in the Shell had been a smash hit then maybe I could get it a bit ? But Ghost did pretty moderately. And was based off a much much bigger anime.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

It's a personal favorite of James Cameron, he's been trying to get the adaptation made since he finished Titanic.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2019, 02:50:32 PM
I can think of three reasons:
-Terminator 2
-Titanic

So, one good movie (T2) and a bunch of turds?  People should have more respect.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 02, 2019, 08:51:18 AM
I also hope the next Terminator movie is done well and makes money, as I like that series and have liked all the films so far.
I liked both of the Terminator movies* as well, but think rebooting them is a waste of time.

*There have only been two, just as there have only been two Alien movies and one Matrix Movie
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

My favorite movie of his remains Aliens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 02, 2019, 02:50:54 PM

It's probably his best. That said, T2 is my favorite.

The Brain

T2 is bad. The Terminator is great. Aliens is great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2019, 01:45:57 PM
It makes no sense how Alita was made. Its a 30 year old anime that was never even that huge in Japan let alone the west.

The anime was based on a very successful manga, which is much better.

I'll probably go see the movie, but I don't have any expectations that it'll be very good.

Syt

How much of the manga is going to be in the movie? I have the original story which is 9 volumes on my shelf (which ends with the toppling of the floating city's regime).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on February 02, 2019, 03:02:20 PM

The Sarah Connor parts in T2 were awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Piranha 2 is bad, not T2.

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2019, 02:09:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2019, 02:50:32 PM
I can think of three reasons:
-Terminator 2
-Titanic

So, one good movie (T2) and a bunch of turds?  People should have more respect.

Studios don't care nearly as much about quality as about box office returns.  So even if your view on the quality of those movies was shared by the overwhelming majority of both moviegoers and studio executives, the money they brought in would pretty much mean the studios would be willing to let Cameroon spend big chunks of their money.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on February 02, 2019, 03:38:03 PM
How much of the manga is going to be in the movie? I have the original story which is 9 volumes on my shelf (which ends with the toppling of the floating city's regime).

I think it's the first 3 or 4 books, not sure.  To be honest it would have been better to stick with the first two.  Better to focus on the bounty hunter period rather than try to stuff so much into it.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 02, 2019, 02:50:54 PM

All these years I thought Aliens was also Ridley Scott.  Okay, I'll give Cameron two movies (though Alien was far superior to Aliens).

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2019, 03:41:17 PM

The Sarah Connor parts in T2 were awesome.

Yep.  That's what makes the movie:  her reaction is pretty much exactly what ours would be:  to go insane based on the knowledge she has.

Bayraktar!