News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Those eyes freak me out. Pure uncanny valley.

Habbaku

I've thought it looked like a flop since the first trailer I saw months ago. I feel bad for the creators.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2019, 11:22:22 AM
I've thought it looked like a flop since the first trailer I saw months ago. I feel bad for the creators.

I have never understood why people had so little respect for their money that they let James Cameron touch it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on February 01, 2019, 02:42:05 PM

I have never understood why people had so little respect for their money that they let James Cameron touch it.

I can think of three reasons:
-Terminator 2
-Titanic
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I think this was a case of "FINE, we'll fund your anime pet project that will lose us millions if you sign up for 3 Avatar sequels".

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2019, 02:51:53 PM
3 Avatar sequels".

Speaking of movies that seem guaranteed to lose money...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2019, 02:50:32 PM

I can think of three reasons:
-Terminator 2
-Titanic

So the same reasons offered by the croupier at the roulette wheel?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2019, 11:22:19 AM

Yeah man. That was exactly my response to the preview I saw in the theatre. It was very unpleasant to look at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 31, 2019, 04:05:51 PM
LEGO Batman is on Netflix.

Holy references, Batman. :D

It kinda loses a bit in the second half, but until then one of the best looks at the Bat-Character out there. Him being an emotional cripple, what would Batman be without his rogues gallery, and also asking the question, "If Batman is so great, why is there all this fucking crime."

8/10, till climax with Sauron, Daleks etc. it was a 9 for me.

Favorite lines:

Robin: My name's Richard Grayson, but all the kids at the orphanage call me Dick.
Batman: Well, children can be cruel.

You might like this.  Chevy has these "Focus group" ads where "Real people, not actors" are just amazed at how cool various Chevy products are.  They show these right before the previews at the local movie theater where I live.  They become annoying after a while; but I was delighted that they did one for the Lego Batmobile.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2019, 04:42:22 PM

Yeah man. That was exactly my response to the preview I saw in the theatre. It was very unpleasant to look at.

I think she's hot.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on February 01, 2019, 04:43:34 PM
You might like this.  Chevy has these "Focus group" ads where "Real people, not actors" are just amazed at how cool various Chevy products are. 

https://youtu.be/S0jTcGBxh6w
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2019, 08:59:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2019, 04:42:22 PM

I think she's hot.  :blush:

Hey that was clearly the intention :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2019, 03:07:56 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2019, 02:51:53 PM
3 Avatar sequels".

Speaking of movies that seem guaranteed to lose money...

To be frank though, grumbler is right in the sense that Cameron's track record as a producer - outside documentaries - is rather bad, and he's only in Alita as producer. I don't think there's any single movie he's produced (and not directed) that has been profitable. Hopefully the Terminator reboot turns out good, although I'm not confident. I think he's really smart about when fully committing to a project and when to keep it at an arms' length. For a long time it was expected that he'd direct Alita himself.

EDIT: Reviewing his credits I see that Sanctum somehow managed to make money. It's an awful film though.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2019, 03:53:42 AM
To be frank though, grumbler is right in the sense that Cameron's track record as a producer - outside documentaries - is rather bad, and he's only in Alita as producer. I don't think there's any single movie he's produced (and not directed) that has been profitable. Hopefully the Terminator reboot turns out good, although I'm not confident. I think he's really smart about when fully committing to a project and when to keep it at an arms' length. For a long time it was expected that he'd direct Alita himself.

EDIT: Reviewing his credits I see that Sanctum somehow managed to make money. It's an awful film though.

I also hope the next Terminator movie is done well and makes money, as I like that series and have liked all the films so far.