And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on January 28, 2019, 04:03:17 PM
Fiend without a Face (1958)

Somewhere in the wilds of Manitoba the United States Air Force is running experiments with atomic radar.  There experiments have been disappointing, as they never get the power they expect.  Meanwhile some of the locals have been found strangled; all the autopsies show that the victims are missing brains and spines.  In a shocking turn of events they all run for parliament and handily win their elections.  The locals blame radiation from the Air Force base for the deaths and form a vigilante group; but what if there is a more sinister explanation?

If you guessed that, yes, there is a more sinister explanation; then you're right!  (Duh!)  If you guessed that a wacky British scientist has been stealing atomic energy and using it to create invisible, disembodied brains that strangle people; then you're right again!  (Duh!)  The ending is a wonderfully gory "Night of the Living Dead" style siege.

Reminds me... have you ever reviewed the movie from your avatar, Sav? I remember seeing it on a film fest many years ago and it was incredibly loopy yet somehow ambitious.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on January 28, 2019, 07:13:41 PM
Reminds me... have you ever reviewed the movie from your avatar, Sav? I remember seeing it on a film fest many years ago and it was incredibly loopy yet somehow ambitious.

No, I don't think I've seen "Brain from Planet Arous" since college.

CB doesn't share my enthusiasm for silent films; so instead we've been watching the films they showed at the Detroit Institute of Art's Detroit Film Theater.  (I'm still on the mailing list.)  This past summer they showed movies that were influences on or influenced by "Star Wars" to go along with their exhibition: "Star Wars and the Power of Costuming."  This is why most of the films I've watched of late have been pre-1970s Action/Adventure and Science Fiction.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

You were never really here (2017)

It's not really a movie, there's a vague revenge plot but no real action to speak of. The sound editor should be shot.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Random thought while watching Titans (which is much better than say Marvel's Iron Fist... [spoiler]as long as it doesn't spend too much time on Robin's angst[/spoiler]) :

Why does Bruce Wayne collect all these boys? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Yeah, Titans is quite decent when they don't dwell too much on Robin - which sadly they do quite a bit... I love when they embrace 1980s DC bizarre (the nuclear family, the Doom Patrol).

Helps that Rachel is a rather likeable lead, despite being a teenager.  :P

Starfire's sex worker attire puzzles me a bit though...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2019, 02:38:09 PM

Why does Bruce Wayne collect all these boys? :hmm:

Isn't it just the one?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

LEGO Batman is on Netflix.

Holy references, Batman. :D

It kinda loses a bit in the second half, but until then one of the best looks at the Bat-Character out there. Him being an emotional cripple, what would Batman be without his rogues gallery, and also asking the question, "If Batman is so great, why is there all this fucking crime."

8/10, till climax with Sauron, Daleks etc. it was a 9 for me.

Favorite lines:

Robin: My name's Richard Grayson, but all the kids at the orphanage call me Dick.
Batman: Well, children can be cruel.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Yeah Lego Batman was great.

Plus I'm sure you appreciated Ellie Kemper as the Phantom Zone-thingy voice.

It did kind-of irk me though that when you already have Ralph Fiennes as part of your cast, and you're going to throw in Voldemort in as a villain, that you wouldn't use Fiennes to do Voldemort.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 31, 2019, 05:16:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2019, 04:01:23 PM
Nope

Never seen any besides Robin.

I think it a reference to just how many Robins there have been...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Bird Box.

It's not a good movie at all, it's boring in most parts and predictable in others. Has an aggravating ending.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Is it just me or does this battle angel alita movie look like a huge flop in the making?
██████
██████
██████