And we're back!

Main Menu

Why I hate fucking Catholic scumbags

Started by Martinus, April 13, 2010, 03:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2010, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 03:40:52 PM
You should watch what Grumbler does and do that.  His trolls work because he honestly doesn't think he's doing it.

I don't believe that for a second.

Don't believe what?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 04:08:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2010, 03:55:15 PM
You should watch what Grumbler does and do that.  His trolls work because he honestly doesn't think he's doing it.

I don't believe that for a second.

Don't believe what?

That grumbler doesn't think he's trolling.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Now he's going to quote your quoting error.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 04:14:37 PM

Meh - I make quoting errors (and spelling errors, and grammar errors), all the time.

Martinus

The first forum he trolled was a Roman Forum. 

LOL I didn't get it on the first read-through. Good one. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 04:14:37 PM

I was half way through typing some advice for you about appreciating Grumbler's wit.  But if you stopped being his perfect straight man I would get less enjoyment reading his posts.

Razgovory

Are you sure that was suppose to be directed at me?

Josephus

Can we go back to all the on-forum lawyers debating whether paedophila and homosexuality are linked or not? That was getting interesting. So far, as a neutral jury, being neither gay or a kiddie lover,  I'm liking what BB had to say on the matter.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2010, 02:52:53 PM
Quote from: dps on April 13, 2010, 02:46:10 PM
I don't think either homosexuality or celibacy  is really a cause of the problems the Catholic Church is experiencing.  The problem is that those who have an inclination to prey on children are going to be drawn to professions where:  1) they work with children, and 2) where they are seen as authority figures.  Compared to other positions where both of those are true, I think that the nature of the Catholic priesthood does make it easier and more attractive to pedophiles, since it probably makes it harder to get caught.

I have heard this theory before (although more generally, and not specifically when talking about the Catholic Church), and I'm still not sure I buy it...

You don't buy the idea that pedophiles are going to be attracted to professions in which they have a legit excuse for being around children?  I admit, I haven't read any particular studies on the subject, but it seems like common sense.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2010, 06:32:01 PM
Can we go back to all the on-forum lawyers debating whether paedophila and homosexuality are linked or not? That was getting interesting. So far, as a neutral jury, being neither gay or a kiddie lover,  I'm liking what BB had to say on the matter.

Unfortunately all I had to say was "these things are complicated, and our understanding of abnormal sexual behaviours is far from perfect".  :(

Plus most of what I know is from either a really interesting, but only 2 hour long, talk by a psychiatrist who studied in particular adolescent sexual offenders, plus a large number, but purely anecdotal, experience in dealing with allegations of sexual offences.

It is quite possible that there is a statistical correlation between homosexuality and pedophilia.  I don't think any such link has been proven however.  Come on - we still can't decide how many people are "gay" to begin with!

Barrister

Quote from: dps on April 13, 2010, 06:41:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2010, 02:52:53 PM
Quote from: dps on April 13, 2010, 02:46:10 PM
I don't think either homosexuality or celibacy  is really a cause of the problems the Catholic Church is experiencing.  The problem is that those who have an inclination to prey on children are going to be drawn to professions where:  1) they work with children, and 2) where they are seen as authority figures.  Compared to other positions where both of those are true, I think that the nature of the Catholic priesthood does make it easier and more attractive to pedophiles, since it probably makes it harder to get caught.

I have heard this theory before (although more generally, and not specifically when talking about the Catholic Church), and I'm still not sure I buy it...

You don't buy the idea that pedophiles are going to be attracted to professions in which they have a legit excuse for being around children?  I admit, I haven't read any particular studies on the subject, but it seems like common sense.

It seems to call for an awful lot of planning...

I doubt very much there are any studies on the topic.  How would you study such a phenomenon?

MadImmortalMan

Here's a question: Assuming homosexuality has nothing to do with pedophilia, why do you think it is that ancient Greek homosexual sex tended to be between men and boys? My guess is that in a society which has an expectation of homosexual activity, men who are otherwise inclined toward the straight end of the spectrum (the majority) would be more likely drawn to a young boy to fulfill the expectation than to a grown and manly adult. If so, that tendency might become somewhat codified into the expectation itself and lead to the identification later on of homosexual activity with pedophilia.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2010, 06:49:40 PM
I doubt very much there are any studies on the topic.  How would you study such a phenomenon?
You hook up Beeb's patented Boner Meter to a bunch of priests and show them pics of naked altar boys. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2010, 06:52:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2010, 06:49:40 PM
You hook up Beeb's patented Boner Meter to a bunch of priests and show them pics of naked altar boys. :)

I hardly have a patent on the Penile Plethismograph (PPG). :(

It can give you some idea of sexual attraction, but how do you then study why people entered certain jobs?  In particular when people have every reason in the world to lie?