News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New political tool: hunger strikes

Started by BVN, April 10, 2009, 04:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on April 10, 2009, 05:39:04 AM
While not fat, Evo Morales might benefit from losing a few pounds.

Yep, he's a portly fellow.  Almost as if he's been preparing for the hunger strike all his life.

Anywho, I never quite understood hunger strikes.  Let them starve themselves to death if that's what they choose.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 08:32:54 AMAnywho, I never quite understood hunger strikes.  Let them starve themselves to death if that's what they choose.

This is the sort of thinking that makes hunger strikes worthless in the United States.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 08:28:30 AM
What a ridiculous strategy, why would the opposition cave in?  :D
What the fuck does spelunking have to do with this?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 08:34:54 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 08:32:54 AMAnywho, I never quite understood hunger strikes.  Let them starve themselves to death if that's what they choose.

This is the sort of thinking that makes hunger strikes worthless in the United States.

Hip hip hooray for the good ol' USA!

jimmy olsen

If someone on a hunger strike gets weak enough from hunger you can just forcibly strap them down and hook them up to an IV so they won't die.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 02:19:10 PM

If someone on a hunger strike gets weak enough from hunger you can just forcibly strap them down and hook them up to an IV so they won't die.

Yeah, but I've never understood why you'd bother.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: BVN on April 10, 2009, 08:21:51 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 07:49:38 AM
Quote from: BVN on April 10, 2009, 07:05:09 AM
I'm also me :)

And who the fuck is that?  Does BVN stand for Better than Valmy and Neil? :grr:
Not everything evolves around you, you know.  :rolleyes:

It stands for Better than Vonmoltke and Neil...

I thought about taking the name BVVM&N but decided against it.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on April 11, 2009, 12:05:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 02:19:10 PM

Yeah, but I've never understood why you'd bother.
Because you don't want your political opponent to become a martyr.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2009, 08:52:14 AM
That's the sort of reasoning that often plagues villains on children's TV shows.  In real life, no man = no problem.  If he wants to kill himself, so much the better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2009, 09:33:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2009, 08:52:14 AM
That's the sort of reasoning that often plagues villains on children's TV shows.  In real life, no man = no problem.  If he wants to kill himself, so much the better.

I've always wanted to be a villain on a children's tv show! :w00t:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Tim is a villain on Languish. His news posts sap the strength of the innocent.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2009, 10:04:23 AM
Innocent of what?

I'm secretly a 12 year old girl, and all this naughty talk on this forum is bad.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2009, 09:55:42 AM
I've always wanted to be a villain on a children's tv show! :w00t:

Stephen Harper looked perturbed, usually he was able to hide his doubts behind a mask of political indifference, but today he could not.  "Gentlemen," he addressed Captain Canada and Barrister Boy, "Something terrible has happened.  Last night every history text book in Ontario was stolen and replaced with this," he placed a book upon the desk.  It was black and written on the cover was "The Paleologus-Ribbentrop Pact and the Founding of the Modern European State."

"Ye gods," exclaimed Barrister Boy as he thumbed through the book perusing page upon page of maps.  "It's alt-history."

"Poorly written alt history too," noted Captain Canada, reading over Barrister Boy's shoulder.

"That goes without saying," replied Stephen Harper.  "Only one fiend is so vile to have foisted alt-history on innocent children; Timothy Ortega."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger