News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New political tool: hunger strikes

Started by BVN, April 10, 2009, 04:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on June 03, 2009, 07:49:14 AM
So, is this guy still on his hunger strike, or did the political opposition find this legislative technique too much to handle, and finally give in?   :huh:

They gave in not that long after he declared it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 02, 2009, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 02, 2009, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 02, 2009, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 02, 2009, 03:20:56 PM
Yeah.

For one, no mention of the Maple Leafs.  :(

To be fair I did say it was the Stanley Cup finals.  Even fan fiction must have some amount of believability.

They can't even make it to the finals in Timmay's alternate history.  :(

Tie Domi and Don Cherry slash fiction.

brrrr.

Somehow, I imagine the phrase "nice Tie you got there" would arise.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 09:36:10 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 03, 2009, 07:49:14 AM
So, is this guy still on his hunger strike, or did the political opposition find this legislative technique too much to handle, and finally give in?   :huh:

They gave in not that long after he declared it.
Lol...

DGuller

I remember seeing that guy interviewed on The Daily Show.  It sickened me when the audience applauded as he was talking about nationalizing foreign industries.  Sometimes liberals can be very stupid, or at the very least way too polite.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on June 03, 2009, 11:25:05 AM
Lol...

Looked it up, opposition faded after 5 days of Evo and supporters only drinking water and chewing on coca leaves.  So basically Evo used coca leaves to suppress his appetite...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

How annoying.
This is such a childish strategy.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 11:30:41 AM
I remember seeing that guy interviewed on The Daily Show.  It sickened me when the audience applauded as he was talking about nationalizing foreign industries.  Sometimes liberals can be very stupid, or at the very least way too polite.

I prefer the interviews on Colbert Report. Daily Show does funnier news bits, but Colbert is the better (more inconvenient) interviewer, asking the uncomfortable questions through his Hansmeister persona.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 12:07:25 PM

I prefer the interviews on Colbert Report. Daily Show does funnier news bits, but Colbert is the better (more inconvenient) interviewer, asking the uncomfortable questions through his Hansmeister persona.
I disagree strongly.  I find Colbert's interviews highly unwatchable, because he doesn't STFU for one second and let his shtick rest, and let his guest actually talk.  His questions are uncomfortable, because being talked over and interrupted all the time is pretty uncomfortable.

I like Stewart's style of getting serious and respectful during interviews, and letting the viewers actually find out something about the guest, or his area of expertise.  It's true that he's extremely soft, but it's not his job to ambush guests Tim Russert style.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2009, 12:39:24 PM
His questions are uncomfortable, because being talked over and interrupted all the time is pretty uncomfortable.

That's often, though, because he doesn't let his guests skirt around questions too much and tries to get a straight answer out of them now and then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 12:44:07 PM
His questions are uncomfortable, because being talked over and interrupted all the time is pretty uncomfortable.

That's often, though, because he doesn't let his guests skirt around questions too much and tries to get a straight answer out of them now and then.
That's not my experience, but maybe I'm just too irritated by his shtick to notice this subtlety.  In general, his guests can't give a straight answer, because they're rarely allowed to say anything meaningful at all.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 12:07:25 PM

I disagree strongly.  I find Colbert's interviews highly unwatchable, because he doesn't STFU for one second and let his shtick rest, and let his guest actually talk.  His questions are uncomfortable, because being talked over and interrupted all the time is pretty uncomfortable.

I like Stewart's style of getting serious and respectful during interviews, and letting the viewers actually find out something about the guest, or his area of expertise.  It's true that he's extremely soft, but it's not his job to ambush guests Tim Russert style.
It's their job to be funny, not informative.  Stewart has gotten a little too full of himself.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.