Confederate history month in Virginia

Started by viper37, April 07, 2010, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 10:21:17 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2010, 09:44:36 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 08:38:05 PM
They managed to jump straight from boggy asshole of the Spanish Empire

As retarded as Tim was to think you meant the British rather than the Spanish, this one is bordering on equality with that level of stupidity.  The Spanish and everyone in Europe considered the Dutch regions to be some of the wealthiest and most productive in Europe before the Dutch got their independence--it was one of the primary motivations behind trying to keep it and, later on, during the 30 Years War, trying to get it back.
Key productive areas were in the south, in Flanders.  Before the migration of Protestants north from the areas occupied by the Spanish throughout most of the 80 Year's War , not to mention the effect of the Dutch blockade of the Spanish Netherlands, the North was relatively unimportant economically and culturally.

The herring fishery and the carrying trade was based in the north, and had been so from before the outbreak of the Revolt.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

Great, an ACW thread hijacked by an even more annoying conflict.

The Devil shits Dutchmen.  End of story.

Bluebook

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2010, 10:26:17 PM

Losing a war is the finest hour?  I'd hate to see what the worst one is.

Depending on time in history and place I'd say its probably what follows after losing a war.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2010, 06:06:33 AM
Great, an ACW thread hijacked by an even more annoying conflict.

The Devil shits Dutchmen.  End of story.

Swamp German hijacks are the worst

Syt

Jon Stewart had a rather amusing skit on this:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-8-2010/virginia-s-confederate-history-month---griffin-mascot
I guess some people will enjoy the commemorative chess board. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alcibiades

Was just about to post this.  Spot on.   :cool:

I need to get that lawn jockey.   :D
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Siege

So, if those southerner bitches were to rebell, would the US Army be called in to quell the rebellion?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 11, 2010, 01:11:51 PM
So, if those southerner bitches were to rebell, would the US Army be called in to quell the rebellion?

Yes.  Refusal to do so would be a violation of your oath.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 08, 2010, 01:11:06 PM
Not as if the british did not use the whole slave thing as a war measure during the first rising anyway.

And yeah, the colonies were suprisingly self-ruling before they abjured the realm. If anything, we traded a distant master upon the thames for one upon the potomac, who could much more practically rule us. It is better to have British rule than Yankee rule.

:o  No, you didn't!

Do you have any idea what the british did to Israel or South Afrika? Do you have any idea how hard was to the little 13 colonies to gain and maintain their independance against the more powerful empire that have ever existed?

You are a fucking coward and you disrespect all the ones that have died fighting the Empire for the freedom of their own lands.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Agelastus

Quote from: Siege on April 11, 2010, 01:18:42 PM
Do you have any idea what the british did to Israel or South Afrika?

What do you mean? Are you referring to us letting in too many Jews to suit the Arabs? Or not letting in enough Jews to suit the proto-Israelis? All-in-all we got shat on by both sides in that region of the world. :mad:

You may have more of a point with South Africa. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2010, 01:38:38 PM
What do you mean? Are you referring to us letting in too many Jews to suit the Arabs? Or not letting in enough Jews to suit the proto-Israelis? All-in-all we got shat on by both sides in that region of the world. :mad:
And deservedly so.  Perfidious Albion's "policies" (which were not so much policies as expedient lies) in the Middle East deserve the criticism they accumulated over time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2010, 01:43:03 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2010, 01:38:38 PM
And deservedly so.  Perfidious Albion's "policies" (which were not so much policies as expedient lies) in the Middle East deserve the criticism they accumulated over time.

Would the USA have done any better, given the competing interests in the region?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2010, 01:59:48 PM
Would the USA have done any better, given the competing interests in the region?
Yes, given that the US wouldn't have the over-riding interest of expanding its empire on the cheap to incentivize the lying.  The best solution for the Brits and French would have been to stand clear after WW1, and then deal with the winners of the various Arab civil wars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2010, 02:16:11 PM
Yes, given that the US wouldn't have the over-riding interest of expanding its empire on the cheap to incentivize the lying.
True.  The American drive for empire was focused elsewhere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2010, 02:56:20 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2010, 02:16:11 PM
Yes, given that the US wouldn't have the over-riding interest of expanding its empire on the cheap to incentivize the lying.
True.  The American drive for empire was focused elsewhere.
Correct.  The US elite was interested in controlling the money, not the people.

Bayraktar!