Main Menu

Confederate history month in Virginia

Started by viper37, April 07, 2010, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 08, 2010, 11:39:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2010, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 11:06:12 AM
Actually, wasn't Virginia extremely reluctant to secede?  I think it may have been the last state to do so, in fact (not counting states that sort of fake-seceded, like Missourah and Kentucky).

Part of it didn't.

West Virginia's finest hour
I'd argue that when West Virginia seceded, it was Virginia's finest hour as well.

Berkut

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 08, 2010, 01:11:06 PM
Not as if the british did not use the whole slave thing as a war measure during the first rising anyway.

And yeah, the colonies were suprisingly self-ruling before they abjured the realm. If anything, we traded a distant master upon the thames for one upon the potomac, who could much more practically rule us. It is better to have British rule than Yankee rule.

Only because it was the Yankees who would not let you expand slavery. And nobody "ruled" the South any more than any other part of the Union was "ruled". The rules applied to Massachusetts the same as they applied to South Carolina.

But the Brits would have done the same thing anyway -  it is a fiction to imagine that London would have let the South expand slavery had the colonies stayed under the Crown.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 11:06:12 AM
Actually, wasn't Virginia extremely reluctant to secede?  I think it may have been the last state to do so, in fact (not counting states that sort of fake-seceded, like Missourah and Kentucky).
Tennessee was the last on June 8th.
Virginia was May 23rd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America#Seceding_states
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

I think it was Adams who said something along the lines that the American and Dutch revolutions had so much in common that one served as the summation of another.  Seems fair,  I think it is probably fair to say that the Dutch was the coolest, and the least likely to have succeeded without such brilliance;

Calvinist Pirates, without major support from any of the major powers, take over some cities from the most universally powerful, wealthiest empire since Rome, then proceed to hunt their enemies across the globe, while simultaneously re-inventing the global economic system and warfare in Europe, ultimately resulting in a Golden Age on par with any in Europe.

America was more a bunch of wealthy, brilliant landowners peeved that the British Parliament was making them pay for a war fought for their interests, ultimately won with French support.

Now, the American Civil War was something of a pathetic end-note for these.  There are obvious similarities between the first two, only one side is run by utterly inbred, uneducated, racist, lazy hicks whose sole accomplishment during the entirety of the War was the result of convincing a reluctant non-retard General to fight for their retarded, evil cause. 

Kind of like what Marx said about Napoleon III; the third always turns out to be a farce. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 01:38:05 PM
utterly inbred, uneducated, racist, lazy hicks

No reason to bring Armenia into this.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fate

Is the GOP going to run on the repeal of fourty acres and a mule in addition to the repeal of Obamacare?

Caliga

Quote from: Fate on April 08, 2010, 02:36:16 PM
Is the GOP going to run on the repeal of fourty acres and a mule in addition to the repeal of Obamacare?

Fate

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 02:39:30 PM
Quote from: Fate on April 08, 2010, 02:36:16 PM

The black should not mix with the white!

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 02:16:59 PM
Spellus is a very angry young man.  :cool:
Be vweeeery vweeery quiet-I'm hunting Dwixie wrabbits. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

The thought crossed my mind that you were trying to troll Lettuce there, Spellus, but I don't think of you as someone who normally trolls people here.  :hmm:

Caliga

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 03:00:44 PM
The thought crossed my mind that you were trying to troll Lettuce there, Spellus, but I don't think of you as someone who normally trolls people here.  :hmm:
I make an exception for Lettow. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 08, 2010, 01:11:06 PM
It is better to have British rule than Yankee rule.

I think Yankee rule is a great idea.

Derek Jeter is kind of like Obama, but with power to Right and Left.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson