News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Confederate history month in Virginia

Started by viper37, April 07, 2010, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: dps on April 08, 2010, 08:40:46 AM
Well, the point is, they were traitors who should have been hung.
The fact that they were traitors is not nearly as important as the fact that they were losers.  Being  losers somewhat made up for their treason.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on April 08, 2010, 12:12:34 AM
Third Servile War (Spartacus' Rebellion) 71 BCE
Bonnie Prince Charlie 1746
John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry 1859
Easter Rising 1916
Warsaw Uprising  1944
Hungarian Uprising 1956
None of these were any nations' "finest hour."

Thermopylae is one.  Saragarhi was another.  The "Whitecoats" at Marsten Moor probably represented the "finest hour" of the royalist forces in the ECW, as there were few examples of units fighting to the death in that war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2010, 09:05:10 AM
Quote from: citizen k on April 08, 2010, 12:12:34 AM
Third Servile War (Spartacus' Rebellion) 71 BCE
Bonnie Prince Charlie 1746
John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry 1859
Easter Rising 1916
Warsaw Uprising  1944
Hungarian Uprising 1956
None of these were any nations' "finest hour."

Thermopylae is one.  Saragarhi was another.  The "Whitecoats" at Marsten Moor probably represented the "finest hour" of the royalist forces in the ECW, as there were few examples of units fighting to the death in that war.

Actually, the Warsaw Uprising is being celebrated in Poland as Poles' finest hour, at least in the living memory. Which is pretty stupid, since the uprising was based on false assumptions and information and was a mistake.

Caliga

I always confuse the Warsaw Uprising with the Warsaw Jewish Ghetto Uprising.  In fact I did that in a class once and the professor yelled at me.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 09:42:38 AM
I always confuse the Warsaw Uprising with the Warsaw Jewish Ghetto Uprising.  In fact I did that in a class once and the professor yelled at me.  :Embarrass:

HAHA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 07, 2010, 09:23:20 PM
1861-1865 was Virginia's finest hour.

Every time I think you've said the stupidest thing possible, you manage to trump yourself.

Hell, I could maybe see someone claiming that the Civil War was South Carolinas finest hour, or even Georgia or Alafuckingbama or something...but Virginia? The state that gave us George Washington and Thomas Jefferson? The cradle of the Revolution?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

This is stupid.  Virginia's finest hour was on May 7th, 1987 Between 1:00 and 2:00 PM.  It was a really nice day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Actually, wasn't Virginia extremely reluctant to secede?  I think it may have been the last state to do so, in fact (not counting states that sort of fake-seceded, like Missourah and Kentucky).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2010, 11:06:12 AM
Actually, wasn't Virginia extremely reluctant to secede?  I think it may have been the last state to do so, in fact (not counting states that sort of fake-seceded, like Missourah and Kentucky).
North Carolina only seceded after Virginia did.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Part of it didn't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2010, 11:33:22 AM

Part of it didn't.

West Virginia's finest hour

Razgovory

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 08, 2010, 11:39:00 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2010, 11:33:22 AM

Part of it didn't.

West Virginia's finest hour

And it's firstest.

Lettow77

Washington is very admirable, berkut, and secession was right then.

However, the damnyankees drove us into that war, and anyhow the South had far more reason to secede in 1861 than 1776. Moreover, the South did so with much more unity of spirit, as there were many tories in the South in the first go round, and sacrificed a far greater number of its sons, absolutely and percentegewise, upon the altar of freedom.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Berkut

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 08, 2010, 01:05:27 PM
Washington is very admirable, berkut, and secession was right then.

However, the damnyankees drove us into that war, and anyhow the South had far more reason to secede in 1861 than 1776.

Yeah, they had ever so much more freedom under British rule from London.

Moreover, the South did so with much more unity of spirit, as there were many tories in the South in the first go round, and sacrificed a far greater number of its sons, absolutely and percentegewise, upon the altar of freedom to own slaves.

FYP
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Lettow77

Not as if the british did not use the whole slave thing as a war measure during the first rising anyway.

And yeah, the colonies were suprisingly self-ruling before they abjured the realm. If anything, we traded a distant master upon the thames for one upon the potomac, who could much more practically rule us. It is better to have British rule than Yankee rule.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'