Bonnie Prince Charlie 1746
John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry 1859
Easter Rising 1916
Warsaw Uprising  1944
Hungarian Uprising 1956
Nitpick Alert: None of these were any nations' "finest hour."

FYP  :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

The Confederacy's finest hour: April 1865. Jeff Davis runs from Union troops in a dress.

Mew Mew! Squee!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Best response to "Confederate History Month" is for the Union Army to go celebrate it as they did during "The Confederates are history month".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 01:38:05 PM
I think it was Adams who said something along the lines that the American and Dutch revolutions had so much in common that one served as the summation of another.  Seems fair,  I think it is probably fair to say that the Dutch was the coolest, and the least likely to have succeeded without such brilliance;

Calvinist Pirates, without major support from any of the major powers, take over some cities from the most universally powerful, wealthiest empire since Rome, then proceed to hunt their enemies across the globe, while simultaneously re-inventing the global economic system and warfare in Europe, ultimately resulting in a Golden Age on par with any in Europe.

America was more a bunch of wealthy, brilliant landowners peeved that the British Parliament was making them pay for a war fought for their interests, ultimately won with French support.

Now, the American Civil War was something of a pathetic end-note for these.  There are obvious similarities between the first two, only one side is run by utterly inbred, uneducated, racist, lazy hicks whose sole accomplishment during the entirety of the War was the result of convincing a reluctant non-retard General to fight for their retarded, evil cause. 

Kind of like what Marx said about Napoleon III; the third always turns out to be a farce.
You're retarded.

The Dutch weren't pirates, the British Empire was not yet the most powerful in the world at that time, and the American Civil War was a far more revolutionary conflict than either the Glorious Revolution or the American Revolutionary War.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on April 08, 2010, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2010, 09:05:10 AM
Quote from: citizen k on April 08, 2010, 12:12:34 AM
Third Servile War (Spartacus' Rebellion) 71 BCE
Easter Rising 1916
Warsaw Uprising  1944
Hungarian Uprising 1956
Hypersensitive Alert  :cry:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 01:38:05 PM
America was more a bunch of wealthy, brilliant landowners peeved that the British Parliament was making them pay for a war fought for their interests, ultimately won with French support.

They weren't that wealthy.

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2010, 06:56:34 PM
The Dutch weren't pirates, the British Empire was not yet the most powerful in the world at that time, and the American Civil War was a far more revolutionary conflict than either the Glorious Revolution or the American Revolutionary War.

The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power.

I actually think the American Revolution, and the success at building a democratic republic, were groundbreaking. And I think saying it was all about taxation is a bit odd.

Queequeg

:rolleyes:
I was trolling Lettow.

That "Most Powerful Empire" bit was about Spain, not Great Britain.  I somewhat overstated the Dutch case, understated the American and, well, I think I was more or less on the money about the CSA. 

Actual views: I think the Dutch Revolt was in some ways more impressive; they were fighting an Empire in its prime, it was a religious conflict and the Dutch had far more to loose due as the Spanish would have been far different in victory than the Brits. They managed to jump straight from boggy asshole of the Spanish Empire, to brilliant rebels, to Global Empire faster than America did.  I also   That said, the idealogical component of the American Revolution is far more fascinating and, ultimately, fruitful, even if I do love the Dutch Puritan Proto-Liberalism. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

During the 80 years war the Dutch gave out medals that said "Better Turkish then Catholic".  It seems they are finally getting their wish. ^_^
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2010, 08:38:05 PM
and, well, I think I was more or less on the money about the CSA. 
That's because you're an ignorant punk.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2010, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: citizen k on April 08, 2010, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2010, 09:05:10 AM
Quote from: citizen k on April 08, 2010, 12:12:34 AM
Third Servile War (Spartacus' Rebellion) 71 BCE
Easter Rising 1916
Warsaw Uprising  1944
Hungarian Uprising 1956
Hypersensitive Alert  :cry:

Isn't nitpicking a symptom of hypersensitivity?

Habbaku

They managed to jump straight from boggy asshole of the Spanish Empire

As retarded as Tim was to think you meant the British rather than the Spanish, this one is bordering on equality with that level of stupidity.  The Spanish and everyone in Europe considered the Dutch regions to be some of the wealthiest and most productive in Europe before the Dutch got their independence--it was one of the primary motivations behind trying to keep it and, later on, during the 30 Years War, trying to get it back.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2010, 09:44:36 PM
They managed to jump straight from boggy asshole of the Spanish Empire

As retarded as Tim was to think you meant the British rather than the Spanish, this one is bordering on equality with that level of stupidity.  The Spanish and everyone in Europe considered the Dutch regions to be some of the wealthiest and most productive in Europe before the Dutch got their independence--it was one of the primary motivations behind trying to keep it and, later on, during the 30 Years War, trying to get it back.
Key productive areas were in the south, in Flanders.  Before the migration of Protestants north from the areas occupied by the Spanish throughout most of the 80 Year's War , not to mention the effect of the Dutch blockade of the Spanish Netherlands, the North was relatively unimportant economically and culturally. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on April 08, 2010, 08:26:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2010, 06:56:34 PM

The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power.

I actually think the American Revolution, and the success at building a democratic republic, were groundbreaking. And I think saying it was all about taxation is a bit odd.

The tax thing gets over played.  What really got people pissed was the heavy handed ways in which the British government attempted to restore order in Mass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017