Newly powerful China defies Western nations

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2010, 09:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 16, 2010, 08:59:33 AM
Just like most Americans. It reminds me of the Daily Show, where the comedian Jon Stewart pointed out that the US was waterboarding its islamic prisioners in Gitmo, while it had hanged for war crimes the Japanese interrogators who did exactly the same thing to US prisioners during WW2. The other actor replied "but we're the US!", and the audience applauded wildly, agreeing with him (and not getting the point they were making).
:hmm: Satire can backfire when used on stupid people.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2010, 10:00:17 AM
Just like most Americans. It reminds me of the Daily Show, where the comedian Jon Stewart pointed out that the US was waterboarding its islamic prisioners in Gitmo, while it had hanged for war crimes the Japanese interrogators who did exactly the same thing to US prisioners during WW2. The other actor replied "but we're the US!", and the audience applauded wildly, agreeing with him (and not getting the point they were making).
:hmm: Satire can backfire when used on stupid people.

I heard those Japanese interrogators also pissed standing up - just like the American interrogators. Clearly this is a total double standard.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2010, 10:04:25 AM
I heard those Japanese interrogators also pissed standing up - just like the American interrogators. Clearly this is a total double standard.
I wasn't even talking about Stewart's point, which I agree can be challenged along those lines.  I was talking about Martim's perception that the audience's jingoism was genuine rather than part of the act.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2010, 10:29:16 AM
I wasn't even talking about Stewart's point, which I agree can be challenged along those lines.  I was talking about Martim's perception that the audience's jingoism was genuine rather than part of the act.

I know. Martim makes Fate look sane - mainly because I don't really think Fate believes Fate, but I do have this rather distressing idea that Martim really believes himself. Which is kind of scary.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

That's kinda funny really.  The Colbert Report would really throw him off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

One way or another, the US takes an active stance on almost everything. Basically no nation on the planet can do anything without the US pronouncing its opinion about it, and often taking measures about it.

How often does China meddles with other countries' internal affairs?

If by meddling you mean some windbag spouting off to reporters their opinions on said foreign affairs, I think you'll find Chinese do it quite often as well.

And deciding they'll sell their shit to any and everybody is as much a stand as trade embargoes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2010, 09:02:36 PMThe Canucks of the Orient, eh?

:lol: Much more competent and ambitious than Canucks, I think.

I see the attitude more like a mix of the Americans of the first half of the last century - with and unwavering belief in their own destiny and rightness - combined with the revanchist impulses of Eastern Europeans or Weimar Germans.

Of course, I wouldn't see the attitude as Canuckistani, more or less being one myself :)

The Minsky Moment

How often does China meddles with other countries' internal affairs?

+ War against India
+ War against Vietnam
+ Sponsorship and armed support of the khmer rouge in Cambodia
+ War in Korea
+ Continued backing for North Korean regime
+ 60+ year military confrontation and subversion vs. Taiwan
+ Naval attacks on Vietnam in South China Sea
+ military, economic and diplomatic support of Burmese junta
+ State purchases of vast resource blocs and establishment of state enterprise colonies in many African nations such as: Anglola, Equitorial Guinea, Congo, and most notably the Sudan, where China also supplied the military equipment used by the butchers of Darfur to facilitate their genocide and then blocked UN response through its Security Council veto.

I assume this question was meant as some sort of ironic joke.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2010, 05:37:53 PM
Quoteaccording to a Chinese official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he would lose his job if his name were published.

Losing his job would be the least of his concerns.

Anyway, I can't get too wrapped around the axle over an article about China anymore.  Nobody wants to do anything about China anyway. 

I'm just the guy at the radar station on Sunday morning, December 7th 1941 being told "don't worry about it". So I won't.

I saw an interview in the History channel with the officer that was the actual commander of that radar station. The dude said in camera that he told his radar operator to not report to higher the huge big radar signature they got, because he, the officer,  had word that a fly of B-17s were on their way to Pearl Harbor.

My question is, how can somebody deal with such a blunder. How can that guy still be alive. The guy single-handlely responsible for America getting caught with her pants down. I think I would have done the honorable thing and volunteer for some suicide mission and go down in flames with as many imperial japanese bastards as possible, and even that would not clear my conciouness.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on March 16, 2010, 01:46:33 PM
My question is, how can somebody deal with such a blunder. How can that guy still be alive. The guy single-handlely responsible for America getting caught with her pants down. I think I would have done the honorable thing and volunteer for some suicide mission and go down in flames with as many imperial japanese bastards as possible, and even that would not clear my conciouness.

Because he's a civilized person and not a barbarian who worships machismo-disguised-as-honor?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

The guy single-handlely responsible

Kimmel and Short will be thrilled to hear the news.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2010, 11:03:41 AM

That's kinda funny really.  The Colbert Report would really throw him off.

What? The Colbert Report is not TRUE???111111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2010, 01:53:46 PM
Because he's a civilized person and not a barbarian who worships machismo-disguised-as-honor?
It helped that Pearl Harbour didn't really matter in terms of the conduct of the war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.