Newly powerful China defies Western nations

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2010, 09:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Jaron on March 15, 2010, 03:31:10 PM
Its like DOLLARS and CENTS????? :huh:

I think it's more like "yuan" means "general unit of money" (same word as "yen" in Japan, by the way) whereas "renminbi" is "the people's revolutionary democratic currency" or some such.

In Lettow terms, if the Southern States had seceded and founded their own currency, they might have named them "Confederated Free States Dollars" (i.e. "renminbi"), but the bills might have the word "Dollars" (i.e. "Yuan") on it most prominently, and that's what people would call them colloquially unless it was necessary to specify otherwise.

QuoteAnd I find it deliciously STUPID that people are blaming this shift in China on Obama. Kleves is mini-Hans.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Chinese foreign policy, like American and most other foreign policy these days, is 95% about internal political issues and rivalries.

The Minsky Moment

Example:

"You need at least 20,000 yuan to bribe a member of the Central Committee."
"The renmibi is undervalued against the dollar."

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quoteaccording to a Chinese official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he would lose his job if his name were published.

Losing his job would be the least of his concerns.

Anyway, I can't get too wrapped around the axle over an article about China anymore.  Nobody wants to do anything about China anyway. 

I'm just the guy at the radar station on Sunday morning, December 7th 1941 being told "don't worry about it". So I won't.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 15, 2010, 11:38:57 AM
The fact that these articles come out so often only show that westerners are psychotic, being horrified everytime China shows even just 1% of the assertiveness that the US has shown almost all the time in the last 65 years.
I'm curious what acts you consider to be assertive by the US and what moments you consider China to have demonstrated its passivity.

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2010, 05:37:53 PM
Quoteaccording to a Chinese official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he would lose his job if his name were published.

Losing his job would be the least of his concerns.

Anyway, I can't get too wrapped around the axle over an article about China anymore.  Nobody wants to do anything about China anyway. 

I'm just the guy at the radar station on Sunday morning, December 7th 1941 being told "don't worry about it". So I won't.

Someone is giving Marcin a run for his money in the dramatic department
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Camerus

FWIW, I haven't noticed a single anti-western attitude during my almost two years here.  On the contrary, people (especially young people) seem quite enthralled with many elements of Western culture.

What I have noticed, though, is very rampant Chinese nationalism.  Virtually everybody I've talked to (where the subject has come up) seems to be obsessed with the notion of self-sacrifice for China, and the importance of doing anything one can to make China more powerful.  And of course, pretty much everyone is a staunch believer that, in the international realm at least, China can do no wrong.

Neil

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 15, 2010, 06:09:58 PM
FWIW, I haven't noticed a single anti-western attitude during my almost two years here.  On the contrary, people (especially young people) seem quite enthralled with many elements of Western culture.

What I have noticed, though, is very rampant Chinese nationalism.  Virtually everybody I've talked to (where the subject has come up) seems to be obsessed with the notion of self-sacrifice for China, and the importance of doing anything one can to make China more powerful.  And of course, pretty much everyone is a staunch believer that, in the international realm at least, China can do no wrong.
And that is why they are our enemies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 15, 2010, 06:09:58 PMWhat I have noticed, though, is very rampant Chinese nationalism.  Virtually everybody I've talked to (where the subject has come up) seems to be obsessed with the notion of self-sacrifice for China, and the importance of doing anything one can to make China more powerful.  And of course, pretty much everyone is a staunch believer that, in the international realm at least, China can do no wrong.

Which is why they need to be bathed in nuclear fire.

grumbler

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 15, 2010, 06:09:58 PM
And of course, pretty much everyone is a staunch believer that, in the international realm at least, China can do no wrong.
The Canucks of the Orient, eh?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on March 15, 2010, 03:56:04 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 15, 2010, 03:31:10 PM
Its like DOLLARS and CENTS????? :huh:

I think it's more like "yuan" means "general unit of money" (same word as "yen" in Japan, by the way) whereas "renminbi" is "the people's revolutionary democratic currency" or some such.

In Lettow terms, if the Southern States had seceded and founded their own currency, they might have named them "Confederated Free States Dollars" (i.e. "renminbi"), but the bills might have the word "Dollars" (i.e. "Yuan") on it most prominently, and that's what people would call them colloquially unless it was necessary to specify otherwise.

QuoteAnd I find it deliciously STUPID that people are blaming this shift in China on Obama. Kleves is mini-Hans.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Chinese foreign policy, like American and most other foreign policy these days, is 95% about internal political issues and rivalries.

Renminbi is just "People's money".   ;)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martim Silva

Quote from: grumbler
It ism amusing that Martim is now calling himself "the West" when he has previously called himself part of "the Union."  He may be furious, but he isn't logical.

Typical crude demagogery - trying to pin me for something I never did. Where, pray tell, did I call myself "the West" in the post?

Quote from: Admiral Yi
I'm curious what acts you consider to be assertive by the US and what moments you consider China to have demonstrated its passivity.

Taiwan
Korea
Vietnam (including before the French defeat)
Laos
Cambodia
Israel
Granada
Chile
Cuba
Nicaragua
Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran

Plus everywhere the US intervened in conflicts, internal or not. Which includes most nations on Earth.

One way or another, the US takes an active stance on almost everything. Basically no nation on the planet can do anything without the US pronouncing its opinion about it, and often taking measures about it.

How often does China meddles with other countries' internal affairs?

Also, everytime the US stands for its national interests (remember the protectionist measures on steel? Or the blocking of CNOOC buying a large US oil firm? Or the recent manouvers to prevent EADS from getting a contract with the USAF and blatantly favouring Boeing?).

These are accepted by the Americans, but if China does the same... fire up the presses!

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos

Just like most Americans. It reminds me of the Daily Show, where the comedian Jon Stewart pointed out that the US was waterboarding its islamic prisioners in Gitmo, while it had hanged for war crimes the Japanese interrogators who did exactly the same thing to US prisioners during WW2. The other actor replied "but we're the US!", and the audience applauded wildly, agreeing with him (and not getting the point they were making).

P.S.: Renminbi - 'People's money'. It is denominated in yuan. Like the US currency is demnominated in dollars.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 16, 2010, 08:59:33 AM
Typical crude demagogery - trying to pin me for something I never did. Where, pray tell, did I call myself "the West" in the post?
Ironic words, coming from someone who just used "indignant," "horrified," "kowtow," and "fabulously deregulated!"  :lmfao:

I see you use "psychotic" and assume you are talking of yourself.  Maybe you aren't that self-aware, though, and are just resorting to yet more crude demagoguery.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 16, 2010, 08:59:33 AM
One way or another, the US takes an active stance on almost everything. Basically no nation on the planet can do anything without the US pronouncing its opinion about it, and often taking measures about it.
What was the phrase?  "Crude demagoguery?"  Indeed.

Bayraktar!