Newly powerful China defies Western nations

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2010, 09:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Exploiting your working classes and ethnic minorities for the gain of a rich, lazy snobby upperclass is defying western tradition now? Man I never keep up.
:p

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 15, 2010, 12:10:56 PM
Exploiting your working classes and ethnic minorities for the gain of a rich, lazy snobby upperclass is defying western tradition now? Man I never keep up.
Don't forget the cultural annhiliation by colonization in Tibet adn other provinces.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 15, 2010, 11:13:05 AM
ITT: China wishes to stand up for its national interests. West is furious because Beijing does not kowtow to the obvious western superiority. Much indignation ensues.

Its funny how your hostility to the US and western values blinds you to the obvious.  The problem is not China standing up for its national interests.  The problem is China doing things that are not particularly beneficial to its national interest in order to maintain the Party's control over the domestic sphere.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 15, 2010, 12:14:29 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 15, 2010, 12:10:56 PM
Don't forget the cultural annhiliation by colonization in Tibet adn other provinces.

I was using soft journalism by saying "exploiting" ethnic minorities.
:p

Jacob

So some dude writes some books about how the other countries suck, to cash in on local nationalism?  That happens in places other than China.  I'd want to hear a lot more about this guy and his importance before I take it to be an indication of big change of any sort.

But I'm headed to China next week.  I'll make sure to let you know if I run into any new and rampant anti-Western attitudes.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2010, 11:20:47 AM
Quote from: Martim Silva on March 15, 2010, 11:13:05 AM
ITT: China wishes to stand up for its national interests. West is furious because Beijing does not kowtow to the obvious western superiority. Much indignation ensues.

Did you read the article?  Or just desire to spout your familiar brainless bullshit?
You didn't have to ask this, did you?

It ism amusing that Martim is now calling himself "the West" when he has previously called himself part of "the Union."  He may be furious, but he isn't logical.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 15, 2010, 11:38:57 AM
Yes I did. And I did not see anything that others - especially the US - did not do often in their Histories, and that many (incuding America) do today. The fact that these articles come out so often only show that westerners are psychotic, being horrified everytime China shows even just 1% of the assertiveness that the US has shown almost all the time in the last 65 years.
But why are you horrified and psychotic?  That is the question.  China has done things like this before, and so have many other nations.

QuoteAnd I'll let "intelligent" people like yourself to try to figure out why your country - indeed, your entire bloc - is trying desperately to dig itself out of the gigantic economic hole created by your fabulously deregulated and so private and liberal financial system.
I am not surprised you don't understand why, and am frankly surprised and pleased that you don't ask anyone to try to explain it to you, as that is probably a hopeless task.

QuoteYou're right, it isn't new. That the media give it so much attention speaks volumes of the western hysteria about the emergence of a power that isn't in their own side.
Not sure how you relate your hysteria to the west in this one.  The media don't give this issue much attention at all, as far as I can see.  It is probably just as well that they don't, as the phenomenon is a temporary one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 15, 2010, 01:34:56 PM
So some dude writes some books about how the other countries suck, to cash in on local nationalism?  That happens in places other than China.  I'd want to hear a lot more about this guy and his importance before I take it to be an indication of big change of any sort. 
Pity you are so much less gullible than Martim.  You just cannot enjoy being indignant, horrified, and psychotic to the extent that he can.  :(

Bayraktar!

sbr

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on March 15, 2010, 01:34:56 PM

But I'm headed to China next week.  I'll make sure to let you know if I run into any new and rampant anti-Western attitudes.

There has been a noticeable shift in policy since the Summer Olympics; that is the concern more than what the guy-in-the-street happens to be thinking at the moment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Alcibiades

Quotethat China allow its currency, the yuan, to

I think they are wrong here, don't they use the renminbi?  :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 15, 2010, 03:21:43 PM

One and the same.
--Joan Robinson

ulmont

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 15, 2010, 03:21:43 PM

It's fucked up.  They use the renminbi, which comes in units of yuan.  I saw an analogy a while back, which I cannot now find....

...found it:

Quoterenminbi is the name of China's currency; but yuan is the denomination of bills, the unit in which prices are measured, etc.. The closest parallel I can think of is Britain's currency, which is sterling, but whose unit is the pound.
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/whats-in-a-name-3/

Jaron

Its like DOLLARS and CENTS????? :huh:

And I find it deliciously STUPID that people are blaming this shift in China on Obama. Kleves is mini-Hans.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 15, 2010, 03:20:40 PMThere has been a noticeable shift in policy since the Summer Olympics; that is the concern more than what the guy-in-the-street happens to be thinking at the moment.

Yeah I agree, that is more of a concern.