News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Steak help! Calling all Americans

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2010, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: sbr on March 10, 2010, 02:46:08 PM
The one fo the best steak houses in Portland is jsut as famous for their onion rings as they are for their steaks.

http://www.ringsidesteakhouse.com/
I suppose its true that the more disgusting the food is, the more powerful the army is.  America is a warrior's nation, no doubt about it :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on March 10, 2010, 03:03:38 PM
Marty is right though - for some reason, mayo goes better with steak fries than regular fries.
I'm surrounded by barbarians.

Nothing on the fries.  Not even added salt.

Steak aux poivres, anytime.
Otherwise, blue cheese.  Or some onion&cheese sauce.

Ideally though, oven potatoes semi-sliced with butter&herbs.

Scipio

Cajun cream sauce is an abomination vis a vis steak.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2010, 03:16:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2010, 03:12:42 PM
The correct answer is whole grain mustard, even the more sound Belgians would agree.

Note that taking culinary advice for anyone born and raised east of the Elbe is just asking for trouble.

I agree. Cuisine of Russians, Jews, Japanese, Indians, Arabs, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. is all crap. ;)

East of Elbe within Europe.
And yes - Russian and Jewish cuisine is crap.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

I would have picked the demi glace also.

Oh, and anti-ketchup-ery is one of the few bigotries I freely allow myself. I am an avowed anti-ketchite.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2010, 05:43:05 PM
And yes - Russian and Jewish cuisine is crap.
Just curious, what parts of Russian cuisine did you try?

Caliga

I'm guessing you mayonnaise haters have never had good mayo, or maybe think Miracle Whip=mayonnaise.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I dislike mayo for the same reason I dislike soy sauce and Wasabi on my sushi.  It overpowers the taste of the actual food.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 06:22:47 PM
I dislike mayo for the same reason I dislike soy sauce and Wasabi on my sushi.  It overpowers the taste of the actual food.

I thought sushi was nothing other than a utensil to eat wasabi with.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 06:22:47 PM
Moderation is key.

Caliga

Quote from: sbr on March 10, 2010, 06:23:56 PM
:D I do like wasabi on my sushi, but typically only a tiny amount per piece.

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2010, 06:25:17 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 10, 2010, 06:23:56 PM
:D I do like wasabi on my sushi, but typically only a tiny amount per piece.

I don't eat sushi; I don't like most seafood and the seaweed they use in some of the stuff makes me gag. 

I am pretty sure I have overly sensitive taste buds, my parents were always amazed when I was younger when I could taste ingredients in foods that I shouldn't have been able to taste.  Mom made a soup once with a very little bit of beer in it and I could taste it perfectly, no one else even knew it was there.  The worst thing in my life though was when I was 4-5 years old and tried crab for the first time, it was the most horrifying thing I have ever been through; the horrible strong taste and the texture was overpowering, I remember thinking I was going to die before I spit it out. 

After that I always had to leave the house when they made crab. :x

DGuller

:blink: Jesus, some of you people have an utterly bizarre taste in food.  I know you're supposedly to be tolerant of other people's choices, but how can you be tolerant when other people are just so wrong?