And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2009, 08:44:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2009, 08:41:59 PM
Star Trek.  Although it was a fairly entertaining movie, I was occasionally struck by what might have been religious terror during the film.
:huh: Can you elaborate on that?
Because certain elements of the film were absolutely horrible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2009, 08:57:53 PM
Star Trek.  Although it was a fairly entertaining movie, I was occasionally struck by what might have been religious terror during the film.
Bad movies however do not usually inspire bouts of religious terror.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
See, it wasn't a bad movie.  However, there were certain parts of it that were shocking and terrifying to an old time Star Trek fan like me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2009, 09:06:18 PM
See, it wasn't a bad movie.  However, there were certain parts of it that were shocking and terrifying to an old time Star Trek fan like me.
Which ones?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 17, 2009, 09:17:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2009, 09:06:18 PM
Which ones?
The big one was the fate of Vulcan.  The stupid look of the new Enterprise was another.  And that's not even taking into account things that annoyed me but didn't cause terror, like the odd slowness of the Romulan ship, the unusual behavior of warp drive, and the fact that Kirk made captain before he even graduated.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Star Trek. Still too many goddamn nerds in the audience.

My tricorder says it was: Enjoyable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2009, 07:17:36 AM

Really?  The theatre I was in was packed, but full of all sorts.  There was even a guy next to me complaining about how fags couldn't give blood.  I thought of Martinus and laughed.

This movie is going to make a shitton of money.  There will be sequels, and probably sequels to those sequels.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on May 18, 2009, 07:21:54 AM

Really?  The theatre I was in was packed, but full of all sorts.  There was even a guy next to me complaining about how fags couldn't give blood.  I thought of Martinus and laughed.

This movie is going to make a shitton of money.  There will be sequels, and probably sequels to those sequels.

There is a college about a mile down the road, so those people were in there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2009, 07:27:45 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 18, 2009, 07:21:54 AM

There is a college about a mile down the road, so those people were in there.
That would explain it.  My theatre was located in a retail subdivision hellhole.  And on a long weekend with bad weather, to boot.

BuddhaRhubarb

last night I finally got around to Stephen Fry's Evelyn Waugh's "Bright Young Things (from Waugh's "Vile Bodies") The Jazz age was a fun time to be an aristocrat... of course punctuated by alcohol/drug induced tragedy, and old families suddenly with no money, and the war and all. chin up though cheerio, pip pip and all that.

decent if a bit stagey in the performances. Captures the era and the debauch pretty well.

7 ghastly parties that just anyone can be invited to out of 10

The previous evening I watched 2 movies. First: "The Naked Prey" by Cornel Wilde. Great white hunter becomes the hunted, but manages to hold a platoon of Bushmen at bay while he runs for civilization. great use of wild kingdom-y stock footage, and actual use of native languages and mores without being too exploitive.

8.25 snake pits in which the vipers only bite really bad people outta 10

Next I stayed up late watching the recently released Fritz Lang Film Noir: ManHunt. Another Great White Hunter (Walter Pidgeon, who is  the only movie star ever from my home province) movie, but in this one, Pidgeon almost kills Hitler, but instead is chased through pre-war England by Nazi agents and Scotland Yard until the war actually starts.

great noir, with dames (Joan Bennet forced to say the awesome-est most cornball schlock in an olde British Hooker accent) and bullets, and be-monocled Nazis. :w00t:

9 Nazis with British Boarding school English in those Goering esque White Uniforms outta 10
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 18, 2009, 12:08:12 PM

great noir, with dames (Joan Bennet forced to say the awesome-est most cornball schlock in an olde British Hooker accent)
Give us an example.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

It's kinda weird to watch an episode of Modern Marvels about the Berlin Wall, and think, "That music that they have playing to illustrate post-war, Soviet Berlin sounds familiar", only to realize it's Bill Goldberg's WCW entrance theme.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Star Trek - the story was boring as it was not innovative at all and it had some huge logical plot holes, yet I still enjoyed it. I really liked the cast. Good choices for all the roles. I am looking forward to see more of that crew.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2009, 12:16:42 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 18, 2009, 12:08:12 PM

great noir, with dames (Joan Bennet forced to say the awesome-est most cornball schlock in an olde British Hooker accent)
Give us an example.

:huh: why?

I don't recall exact phrases but it was all very Eliza Doolittle
:p