News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brazen, you've inspired me

Started by merithyn, March 03, 2010, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I've read that there aren't many cardiovascular fitness benefits to running over 5 miles, but it increases your chance of injury. I run on a track to keep the pressure off my knees, and keep race distances to 10k. Be careful adding so much distance so quickly--that is a good way to end up injured if you aren't careful.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

My problem with running 20km is it would take a damn lot of time that I could use doing other things instead. Thats my main problem with exercise. Seems a waste of time due to the no immediate benefit thing.
And of course costs. Gyms are damn dear. I might have to try jogging in summer though. I've no excuse not to be in shape with the stress of school and having to feed myself coming to an end.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

After three times of nearly dropping out of the race while I waited at the line, I managed to finish my first half-marathon. ^_^

It took me 3h30m-ish (official time won't be out for another few hours), but given my limited amount of training, I think I did okay. I ran some, but mostly I walked at a very quick pace. My asthma is acting up now, but I didn't notice it on the race. And my god was I famished after! I'm exhausted, my muscles ache like you wouldn't believe, and I nearly collapsed after I finished, but I did finish. And I have every intention of doing another one in November; this one with Max by my side.

Overall, a difficult experience and one worth doing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Lucidor

:showoff:

That's an achievement to finish 21 km. Hopefully it wasn't too hard on your ligaments and muscles, so you can get back in shape quickly. You should listen to the body if you want to enjoy a long season of running and not be sick/inured all the time.

Congratulations!

sbr

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2010, 10:53:27 PM
What's the point of running when no one is chasing you? :huh:

Training so you can get away when somebody *is* chasing you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I thought that is what guns were for. :tinfoil:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Is :cheers: appropriate here? Thats the thought anyway.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Final results: 3:23:53
Avg. time per mile: 15:36

And now I really hurt. Off to take a very hot bath.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...