News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brazen, you've inspired me

Started by merithyn, March 03, 2010, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

For blisters, try mole skin or use what ultramarathoners, duct tape.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Ooo.. duct tape I have.

It's sad, really, because I procrastinated running for several hours today because I couldn't stand the thought of the pain in my heels. I was looking forward to the run, but the blisters just really made me pause.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

I used to run half marathons at least once a week for fun.  And total 40+ miles per week.

That was two knee surgeries ago; now my doctor has recommended that I avoid treadmills as too high impact (forget actual running).

Sadly, we are not getting any younger.  Consider sticking to 10K and under.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Managed 3.1 miles in 44 minutes this morning. It was quite a bit easier than things had been. We did 14 minutes 1:1, five minute walk, then another 14 minutes 1:1, then walked the rest of the way. My shins were killing me but the blisters seem to have calcified or something.

Spent the day stretching my calves to alleviate the shin pain. It's worked well. And the best news: five days in I've lost three pounds. ^_^

katmai

Pffft I won't have to worry about meeting you in June as
you'll have keeled over in may.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

The last two weeks have been complete shit. I had to stop running the miles due to my asthma starting to go out of control. I was assured that it would get better, but it just kept getting worse each time I ran. So, I've tapered back to walking quickly. I do mean quickly, too; I still managed 3.1 miles in 50 minutes.

On top of that, I had a business trip to Lumberton, MS, for a week and did no actual training. There was a tremendous amount of walking involved, but only because the distance from Point A to Point B was so far apart, not because I was actively training.

Four weeks and three days until D-Day and the furthest I've managed to go in a single attempt is 3.1 miles. This could get ugly.  :ph34r:

Brazen

Ooh, good stuff Meri, sorry I didn't spot this sooner :)

I combined two plans that suited me, but at it's core is Jeff Galloway's method - he's the master of run/walk. Make one weekend day (or whatever day you get off) your long distance day and go the whole way at the run/walk ratio that suits you.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

Aaargh, just spotted you've got just two weeks to go now. Sooo sorry :(

This weekend, walk for two hours at a comfortable pace - no huffing and puffing - for two hours, then slowly drop back over the next two weeks. Don't do another long one just the week before.

Shin/calf/knee pain happens to EVERYONE when they start running. A lot of people give up there and then, but it's just your body getting used to it. Get your shoes sorted and don't forget to stretch. Don't deliberately try to land on your heel and push through because you heard it's the right thing to to do. Mid-foot landing's where it's at these days.

Good luck! :hug:

Brazen

Oh wait, you've actually got four weeks, my bad. Instead, cover the distance during your long runs, and again go at pace with no huffing and puffing so you don't bring on your asthma. If you still want to include some running without getting hurt of wheezy, try a breaking into a jog for one minute at each mile marker.

These dates are just the Saturday of the week - obviously do your long walk/run on whatever day suits bets.

3rd April: 8 miles
10th: 10 miles
17th: 7 miles
24th: 5 miles
May 1st: Half marathon!

merithyn

Thanks, B! As I'm struggling to breath due to seasonal allergies (God, how I hate Spring), I've taken the last two days off walking, but tomorrow I get back to it. Sunday is my "long day", so I'll go by your schedule on those days.

It's just 13.1 miles. It can't be that bad..... right? :unsure:

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on April 01, 2010, 09:05:59 AM
Thanks, B! As I'm struggling to breath due to seasonal allergies (God, how I hate Spring), I've taken the last two days off walking, but tomorrow I get back to it. Sunday is my "long day", so I'll go by your schedule on those days.

It's just 13.1 miles. It can't be that bad..... right? :unsure:
I did 13.7 miles last weekend and, though not what I'd call comfortable, it's definitely within the realms of possible. I gather it's like childbirth - unbearable agony at the time, but you soon forget and want another :P

starbright

My small piece of advice is to walk and then run.  It helps me run longer and faster. It's like a really long stretch before you run.

Strix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2010, 07:19:40 PM
I did a 22 mile drive in the Cadillac today, and it felt great.  In fact, it felt so good, I turned around and went back the same 22 miles.

Keep it up! Worse comes to worse and you break your back, you can always polish the fenders.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

merithyn

ohmygodohmygodohmygod.....

What have I gotten myself into??????

garbon

What's the point of running when no one is chasing you? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lucidor

My advice is not to be such a hard-head about it. 21 km is a long way for someone with no running experience to aim for the first year. I'd go for a 5 or a 10 km run/jog instead, if I didn't have the habit of running at least 12-16 km without stopping for a walk, without hurting too much after it.

If you get too sore from running it, don't be afraid to drop out during the race. Plantar fasciitis, runner's knee and a bad case of the shins get worst if you try to run through it.

Your idea of this may vary, but I don't want to spoil my seasons from going from 0 to 21 km too fast, three weeks ago I decided to drop the 21 km run and just go for the 10 km one today, because I didn't get in shape to go he distance without hurting too much.

Good idea to get in shape, though! :)