Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Isn't it just debuting at Cannes now?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

Quote from: katmai on May 20, 2009, 04:02:20 AM
Isn't it just debuting at Cannes now?

It premiered monday or sunday in Denmark at least, a day after the first showing in Cannes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Laputa- The voice of the main woman angers me. And I'm sure I recognise the voice of the general. Quite OK for a childish film.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Saw Star Trek. My wife loved the movie, which means it will make a metric shitload of money and spawn innumerable sequels.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

watched 2 nights ago: Joe Strummer: the Future is Unwritten.

Very in depth about Joe's past this biography. some annoying Julien Temple tropes (slick but pointless montages mostly) but overall a very solid history of Joe Strummer, before during and after the Clash.

8.6666 Public school boys with very British smiles trying earnestly to shed their privileged pasts and failing (in a good way) outta 10
:p

Malthus

Saw Night of the Hunter last night. A truly menacing classic. The scenes Mitchum as psycho killer preacher closing in on the children were amazingly intense, more deeply frightening than any slasher flick.

10 pairs of hands tatooed with "love" and "hate" out of 10.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 20, 2009, 12:25:24 PM
watched 2 nights ago: Joe Strummer: the Future is Unwritten.

Very in depth about Joe's past this biography. some annoying Julien Temple tropes (slick but pointless montages mostly) but overall a very solid history of Joe Strummer, before during and after the Clash.

8.6666 Public school boys with very British smiles trying earnestly to shed their privileged pasts and failing (in a good way) outta 10

Yeah saw that a few years back at a screening for the AIFF
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Dark City Director's Cut. Not bad but you're constantly thinking about that other movie which kind of ruins it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2009, 09:44:19 AM
Saw Star Trek. My wife loved the movie, which means it will make a metric shitload of money and spawn innumerable sequels.  :lol:

That's excellent. I am dead tired of having to watch the Star Trek movies made in 80s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habsburg

Quote from: Liep on May 20, 2009, 03:49:33 AM
Have anyone watched Trier's Antichrist yet? I'd like a "normal" person's review of that. :p

Oh God, anything Von Trier makes me want to scratch my eyes out.  Add Charlotte Gainsbourgh and Williem Dafoe and just NO!  :bleeding:

Cannes critics have ravaged it, though my beloved Manohla Dargis of the NY Times was lukewarm.

Neil

I've seen the trailer for Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.  It is, barring only I, Robot, the worst treatment of a deceased author's work ever.  Apparently, Holmes and Watson are two-fisted destroying machines, pausing only in their orgy of violence to flirt with Rachel McAdams and to use assorted lockpicks and powders to find the next den of villains to pummel, shoot and blow up.

You know, it seems to me that there's a lot less logic in the detective genre these days.  I blame CSI and the other procedurals for making crime a simple matter of running some tests and bringing in the bad guy, as opposed to the mental gymnastics of men like Holmes, Columbo, Poirot and the like.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cerr

I saw Synedoche, New York tonight.
I loved it. It's a bit of a mindfuck though. I definitely want too see it again.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2009, 01:25:24 PM
Saw Night of the Hunter last night. A truly menacing classic. The scenes Mitchum as psycho killer preacher closing in on the children were amazingly intense, more deeply frightening than any slasher flick.

10 pairs of hands tatooed with "love" and "hate" out of 10.
By far and away my favorite movie.  I've written a few essays on it. 

Watch Cape Fear next.  It is as different from Night of the Hunter as a movie with Robert Mitchum starring as a southern rapist/serial killer can be. 

I've watched that approach-to-river and murder of Willa scenes maybe a hundred times.  Actually, whenever I want to scare my twin eight year old sisters I just start talking like Preacher Powell.

"Chiiiiiildreeen?   Chiiiiiiilllddren?  I know you're down there.  I can hear ye whisperin'.  I can feel myself gettin' aaaaawful mad."

EDIT: It is playing this month in Chicago.  I AM SO FUCKING PSYCHED.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Its also one of the more referenced but relatively unknown films out there, from London Calling to the first episode of The Simpsons, Do The Right Thing and the Rocky Horror Picture Show, every Coen Brothers movie, Punch Drunk Love and I'd argue a lot of Lynch and Malick movies. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."