News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Just watched There Will Be Blood again. Still my favorite movie of the decade so far.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Monoriu

Slumdog millionaire.  Wife dragged me to see it.  Normally I won't see movies that have won too many awards (too artistic).  But this one is ok.  Story fails to suspend disbelief for me.  But if you look past that, it is an entertaining flick. 

Grinning_Colossus

I recently watched 'The Watchmen.' (Dunno who does it the rest of the time.) It wasn't that bad -- tho if the supposedly groundbreaking thesis of the comic was that superheroes are inherently paternalistic, I'm not impressed.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Delirium

Milk. Good acting all around, and though I knew nothing of the subject matter the film seems important and has a documentary feel about it. A strong 3 out of 5.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Jos Theelen

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Nice, however a bit too sentimental.

Neil

Quote from: Delirium on March 11, 2009, 04:49:27 AM
Milk. Good acting all around, and though I knew nothing of the subject matter the film seems important and has a documentary feel about it. A strong 3 out of 5.
Martinus is going to have you killed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Pedrito

Eastern Promises by David Cronenberg. Very, very good movie.

5 russian jail tattoos out of 5.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Finished watching season 3 of IT Crowd.  :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Pedrito on March 11, 2009, 08:20:59 AM
Eastern Promises by David Cronenberg. Very, very good movie.

5 russian jail tattoos out of 5.

L.
Super excellent movie. :thumbsup:

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM
Just watched There Will Be Blood again. Still my favorite movie of the decade so far.

Why do you think that?

Admiral Yi

I didn't get There Will Be Blood either (what I saw of it).

Saw State and Main.  Movie crew goes to a small Vermont town for a location shoot.  Mostly very good parody of Hollywood personalities.  The bald guy who played a weasel in Quiz Show does a very good weasel here.  William H. Macey is good as the pushy, manipulative director.  Unfortunately the heart of the movie is about the writer (that guy in Scippy's avatar) and it's kind of lame.  Love interest is the chick with the big eyebrows who was in The Baldwin Boy.

Hey Hose, is Eyebrows English or American?

FunkMonk

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 13, 2009, 04:54:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Why do you think that?

PT Anderson-directed sweeping epic of a man's life. Excellent acting from Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. I loved the soundtrack and the setting. It's the type of movie I really go for.

Capetan Mihali

Charlie Chaplin's best anti-capitalist downer black comedy, Monsieur Verdoux (1947) re-released on the big screen, in which he plays the title character, who seduces, marries, and murders rich widows to keep his "real" family afloat after being laid off from his long-time position as a bank clerk.  Hijinks ensue, punctuated by a discussion of Schopenhauer, a great performance by Martha Raye as a vulgar lottery-winning broad, and Verdoux's eventual execution by guillotine.  Some great lines throughout the movie, Verdoux's final statement in court high among them: ....As for being a mass killer, does not the world encourage it? Is it not building weapons of destruction for the sole purpose of mass killing? Has it not blown unsuspecting women and little children to pieces? And done it very scientifically? As a mass killer, I am an amateur by comparison. However, I do not wish to lose my temper, because very shortly, I shall lose my head. Nevertheless, upon leaving this spark of earthly existence, I have this to say: I shall see you all...very soon...very soon.

The movie was, predictably, the target of significant protests in the US at the time of its release, and it worsened Chaplin's already low reputation with J. Edgar Hoover and other American authorities.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Watchmen. It was pretty good for a superhero movie. Certainly better than the steaming pile of poo that was Batman Begins (haven't seen Dark Knight).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2009, 05:54:22 PM
I didn't get There Will Be Blood either (what I saw of it).

Saw State and Main.  Movie crew goes to a small Vermont town for a location shoot.  Mostly very good parody of Hollywood personalities.  The bald guy who played a weasel in Quiz Show does a very good weasel here.  William H. Macey is good as the pushy, manipulative director.  Unfortunately the heart of the movie is about the writer (that guy in Scippy's avatar) and it's kind of lame.  Love interest is the chick with the big eyebrows who was in The Baldwin Boy.

Hey Hose, is Eyebrows English or American?

You mean Winslow boy? That is Rebecca Pidgeon if so, and from Mass and married to David Mamet (the writer/director) of State and Main
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son