Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2009, 01:38:35 AM
That Wolverine movie. :bleeding:

And I had been drinking. :(

Plus side : the X-Men movies look like masterpieces in comparison.
LOL I went to see it last night and my reaction (re comparison with the X-Men movies) was the same. I mean, seriously, it had none of the moral ambiguity of the X-Men movies; hell, "Last Stand" (the third of the X-Men movies) which is widely regarded as the worst of the trilogy looked positively Bergmanesque in its depth and character complexity.

It had nice CGI, and Hugh Jackman's naked ass is always a plus but overall it was crap.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2009, 09:19:29 PM
Tried to watch King Kong (newest one) on tv. god it sucked.
You just broke little Timmy's heart.

The Brain

LOTR episode 1 sextended edition.

It's as it was.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2009, 03:41:49 AM

LOL I went to see it last night and my reaction (re comparison with the X-Men movies) was the same. I mean, seriously, it had none of the moral ambiguity of the X-Men movies; hell, "Last Stand" (the third of the X-Men movies) which is widely regarded as the worst of the trilogy looked positively Bergmanesque in its depth and character complexity.

It had nice CGI, and Hugh Jackman's naked ass is always a plus but overall it was crap.

:huh: Never thought the X-men movies were especially morally ambiguous. They make it very clear who they want the audience to identify with and root for. (I didn't see the 3rd movie though)

Saw Wolverine this morning. Some of the editing was choppy in the 2nd half, but other than that I thought it was good. Not great though, the only really memorable part for me was the opening montage, that showed Logan and Victor fighting as the decades passed.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

BuddhaRhubarb

Beneath The Valley of The Ultra Vixens, by Russ Meyer. funny spoof of Valley of the dolls, sort of, maybe actually a spoof of Beyond the Valley of the dolls, actually. either way... lots of Boobies, dicks and fucking, punctuate some offbeat pseudo folksy narration, as if it were some wild kingdom documentray about nympho housewives.

droll cheeky. gotta be in the right mood tho'

6.9 what the hell other numbers would you use to rate such a film? outta 10
:p

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2009, 12:27:25 PM
Saw Wolverine this morning. Some of the editing was choppy in the 2nd half, but other than that I thought it was good. Not great though, the only really memorable part for me was the opening montage, that showed Logan and Victor fighting as the decades passed.

No, the plot was entirely senseless. I'm not going to be posting spoilers (in case someone wants to witness it on their own) but there was almost no explanation for any of the characters' actions.  Which could be fine...as I went in knowing that there wasn't much plot just a lot of action. Unfortunately, the action sequences also left much to be desired.  All in all a horrible except for Jackman's body.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

There's a new Jim Jarmusch film out, called The Limits of Control, featuring Tilda Swinton.  Paging Habsburg!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

"Must Love Dogs" has been on twice in two days.

Not a bad movie at all, but you know, the only thing that would improve these kinds of romantic comedies would be if velociraptors broke out, and just at that critical plot point of Act III, they gouge everyone's fucking internal organs out while they're still writhing and screaming.

That's my kind of romantic comedy.  Yeah.

Viking

"Gods and Generals" followed by "Gettysburg".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2009, 03:41:49 AM

:huh: Never thought the X-men movies were especially morally ambiguous. They make it very clear who they want the audience to identify with and root for. (I didn't see the 3rd movie though)

I disagree - Magneto is a very sympathetic villain in all three movies and you can understand his motives. His conflict with Xavier is clearly not your typical Hollywood bad guys vs. good guys thing.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2009, 04:12:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2009, 04:04:20 PM
"Gods and Generals"

My condolences.

I was a bit dissapointed in how the two movies boil down to a few "points" considering that they last 6 or 7 hours in total. those points being

A) Union top officers incompetent
B) Lee brilliant with Stonewall, lesser man with Longstreet
C) Southern men have great élan
D) Northern men have great determination

I just think that is a bit simplistic and wrong, given what we really do know. The myths that drive the view of the war are very strong in this case. I refer you to Lettow.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2009, 12:51:48 PM

No, the plot was entirely senseless. I'm not going to be posting spoilers (in case someone wants to witness it on their own) but there was almost no explanation for any of the characters' actions.  Which could be fine...as I went in knowing that there wasn't much plot just a lot of action. Unfortunately, the action sequences also left much to be desired.  All in all a horrible except for Jackman's body.
Yeah. The Stryker guy was completely one-dimensional. Only near the end of the movie there was a totally feeble attempt at explaining his motives (OMG A MUTANT KILLED MY WIFE!) but it was so unbelievably lame and sort of an afterthought.