Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2009, 12:01:26 PM
Quote from: ulmont on May 04, 2009, 09:32:07 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 04, 2009, 09:23:20 AM
Well, it seemed to go a ways.  How far is three days ride?

30 miles per day is an easily sustainable pace for a horse, so 90 miles.  There are endurance competitions where horses ride up to 100 miles in a day, but those aren't sustainable (and few riders would want to ride 12 hours a day either).

Charles XII averaged 100+ miles a day when he rode from Turkey to Stralsund in 1714.
He probably rode his horses to death.  Charles XII was a master of squandering his resources and destroying himself.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: ulmont on May 04, 2009, 12:12:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2009, 12:01:26 PM
Charles XII averaged 100+ miles a day when he rode from Turkey to Stralsund in 1714.

Did he have remonts?

Of course. He wasn't a cavalry army depending on one or a couple of horses per guy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 04, 2009, 08:48:20 AM
It could have been improved had Deadpool broke the Fourth Wall and told the audience about all the glaring plot holes and screw ups.

I don't think that would have helped. Ryan Reynolds was annoying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2009, 12:13:29 PM
Did he have remonts?

Of course. He wasn't a cavalry army depending on one or a couple of horses per guy.

Not something you'd stick as a regular person's regular "day's ride" then.

The Brain

Quote from: ulmont on May 04, 2009, 12:15:53 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 04, 2009, 12:13:29 PM
Did he have remonts?

Not something you'd stick as a regular person's regular "day's ride" then.

Not voluntarily, no.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

watched the old B&W end of the world picture "Five". as you might suspect 5 survivors of nuclear (it seems) war band together after they miraculously survive. Only one woman though, and she's already preggers. really bleak picture for the early 50's. I haven't researched it, but I'm assuming the dark ending was cut heavily in it's release, or the movie shelved.

Like a really decent Twilight Zone episode. With requisite irony, cosmic jokes at the expense of human life.

7.345 megahertz of residual radiation that bad people, babies, and old people aren't immune to outta 10
:p

Winkelried

Quote from: Neil on May 04, 2009, 06:44:21 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 03, 2009, 11:03:38 PM
Watched the Star Trek TOS episode "Balance of Terror". Haven't seen it since I was a little kid. Rocked my balls off. :thumbsup:
That's the one with Mark Lenard as the Romulan captain, right?

Yep. But I still prefer The Enemy Below.  :P

jimmy olsen

Saw X-Men 3. Not as bad as reported.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 04, 2009, 01:45:39 PM
Fuck you, you Cyclops-hating faggot.  You're probably gay for Wolverine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

Crumb, the 1994 documentary on R. Crumb the cartoonist.  Him and his mentally ill brothers (and mother) are really some of the fascinating documentary material ever put to film.  Highly recommended.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

AnchorClanker

Dial M for Murder
The Rules of the Game

Post-dinner, during four bottles of wine with agreeable US Navy female personnel.

Good weekend.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Josquius

I saw Run Lola Run.
It was pretty good.
I really should seek out more German films.

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2009, 12:03:16 PM

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ijDlbvAxw

AGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Trek is just on such a much smaller scale than Wars. No contest the other way.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2009, 12:14:32 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 04, 2009, 08:48:20 AM
It could have been improved had Deadpool broke the Fourth Wall and told the audience about all the glaring plot holes and screw ups.

I don't think that would have helped. Ryan Reynolds was annoying.
So is Deadpool. 

I think an Imperial Class Star Destroyer could easily destroy a Constitution class Starship.  A Victory class might not get away as easily though, they were a lot smaller and could probably be blown up by the Enterprise. 
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 04, 2009, 01:45:39 PM
I liked it too.

My favourite scene: Angel's coming out. :P

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 04, 2009, 03:53:39 PM
A Victory class might not get away as easily though, they were a lot smaller and could probably be blown up by the Enterprise.
This is, of course, a ridiculous assertion.