Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

No padding on metal supports next to the track.  <_<

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2010, 09:02:07 PM
I suppose you guys have all heard about the Norwegian luger who died during a practice run?

Georgian.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

katmai

QuoteAt times both a friend and foe of the United States Olympic team, Stephen Colbert will be traveling to Vancouver as a part of NBC's coverage of the Olympics. This is excellent news.

The LA Times reports that Colbert will serve as ombudsman for the speedskating arena, and the speedskating team has named him their team psychologist. What this means, I don't know. But it's sure to be funny.

While in Vancouver, Colbert will be recording tons of material for when "The Colbert Report" returns to the air later this month. He'll also be joining Bob Costas to do commentary at the Games. According to Colbert, his mission for his trip to Vancouver is to find out "What is Canada? Or more importantly, why is Canada?" Good questions.

After a major speedskating sponsor went bankrupt, Colbert and his legion of fans stepped in to save the team. That paved the way for Colbert's association with Team USA, but it hasn't all been jokes and bobsleds. In December, speedskater Shani Davis seemed to take offense at Colbert's ribbing of Canadians, even calling Colbert "a jerk." Canadians have been upset by being repeatedly referred to as "syrup-suckers" and "Saskatche-whiners." Ironically, that's exactly the kind of thing Colbert is talking about.

However, Colbert says he's not there to cause any problems. According to the comedian, "I'm there to celebrate Canada at this point." Whatever the reasons, we're just glad he'll be there.

DGuller

Quote from: citizen k on February 12, 2010, 09:24:58 PM
Yeah, that struck me as soon as I saw the pictures.  Is that normal?  It seems like an obvious fatal safety hazard.  If I recall correctly, in the last Olympic games, when lugers crashed and went over the wall, they were hitting wooden boards, not exposed metal bars.

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2010, 09:51:42 PM
Quote from: citizen k on February 12, 2010, 09:24:58 PM
Yeah, that struck me as soon as I saw the pictures.  Is that normal?  It seems like an obvious fatal safety hazard.  If I recall correctly, in the last Olympic games, when lugers crashed and went over the wall, they were hitting wooden boards, not exposed metal bars.

Read that the accident occurred at spot  right after area that they had added barriers so just such an accident of someone going over the rail wouldn't happen.

Eddie Teach

Loved those outfits the chicks carrying the signs with country names had on. :perv:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 12, 2010, 10:21:53 PM
Loved those outfits the chicks carrying the signs with country names had on. :perv:

thought some of those legs were pretty beefy. Must be Alberta girls.

That aside, thought the opening cermony, so far, was quite impressive. This "cultural bit" going on right now is a tad boring, which is why I'm here.

And oh, I interviewed Nikki Yanofsky several years ago....didn't know she'd be famous now.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

The broadcast from NBC is just starting here in Alaska, but looking through pics of the Opening ceremony, the Finnish team looks ready to wage a winter war in their choice of jackets.

PRC

Quote from: katmai on February 12, 2010, 10:39:07 PM
The broadcast from NBC is just starting here in Alaska, but looking through pics of the Opening ceremony, the Finnish team looks ready to wage a winter war in their choice of jackets.

Check out the pants Azerbaijan wore into the show!

Grey Fox

Try ctvolympics.com
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

This kid doing aerial acrobatics to Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now is pretty cool.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 12, 2010, 10:49:14 PM

Try ctvolympics.com

But i want my Americentric coverage so i can see a gazillon shots of the two Lindseys!

alfred russel

Apparently Canada is a land where tattooed tough guys play violins, tap dance, and wear kilts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014