News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Last night my wife bought some tickets for us to watch a live competition.  I can't believe she got the tickets as it was a very high profile event, but somehow she prevailed.

We're going to watch Denmark versus China in the preliminary round of curling.  I expect emotions will run high, but I pray that our relationship is able to withstand the nationalistic fervour that is sure to grip us.

Jacob

I hope it's women's curling, but I just realize that I don't know if it is.  Fuck, it better be women's curling.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM
Last night my wife bought some tickets for us to watch a live competition.  I can't believe she got the tickets as it was a very high profile event, but somehow she prevailed.

We're going to watch Denmark versus China in the preliminary round of curling.  I expect emotions will run high, but I pray that our relationship is able to withstand the nationalistic fervour that is sure to grip us.

:scots:

Good for you.  Perhaps you will be inspired to start curling yourself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

I was expecting artisticly unclothed female athletes.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

I always like the Winter Olympics more than Summer, though I still haven't figured out wtf curling is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2010, 04:05:52 PM
I always like the Winter Olympics more than Summer, though I still haven't figured out wtf curling is.

They started ruining the winter olympics with the x-games crap. Olympic hockey is my favorite olympic competition though, summer or winter.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

My favorite Olympics in recent memory were 1998 games in Nagano.  I think the biggest reason is that NBC wasn't showing them. 

I can say without any exaggeration at all that Soviet television, as awful as it was in almost every way, did a much better job covering the sport.  They showed more sports, they let you understand WTF was going on, and they didn't pacakge it to showcase just their own athletes (ironically enough, given how important politically the Olympic games were).

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2010, 04:18:21 PM
I can say without any exaggeration at all that Soviet television, as awful as it was in almost every way, did a much better job covering the sport.

I would hope so, given how much resources they had invested in it.

and LOL did they: complain about the West German judges?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

What do you want to know about curling? :scots:

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2010, 04:18:21 PM
My favorite Olympics in recent memory were 1998 games in Nagano.  I think the biggest reason is that NBC wasn't showing them. 

I can say without any exaggeration at all that Soviet television, as awful as it was in almost every way, did a much better job covering the sport.  They showed more sports, they let you understand WTF was going on, and they didn't pacakge it to showcase just their own athletes (ironically enough, given how important politically the Olympic games were).

Yeah, I don't really like how the US networks cover olympics.  Edited to sharply, focuses too much on only US athletes.  CBC usually did a much better job IMO.

I'm curious how CTV/TSN will handle it this year...

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 04:25:51 PM

Why is it called "curling" in the first place.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2010, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2010, 04:25:51 PM

Why is it called "curling" in the first place.

To separate it from other sports.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.