Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on February 06, 2010, 09:48:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2010, 09:09:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2010, 08:39:41 PM
Are people really trying to tell me that the preliminary round of curling featuring Denmark vs China will not keep billions of viewers rivetted to the screen?

It's hard to believe....
There will be at least one billion, since not cheering on Chinese Olympic curlers would be considered counter-revolutionary, and any Chinese automaton who doesn't tune in will be sent to the salt mines.
I thought the traditional punishment for counter-revolutionaries was "Introduction to a bullet 101".
That was the old China.  The new China is less interested in ideology and more interested in profit.  Automatons are held in line by the fear of being forced into a worse automaton job.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

I remember that, as a kid, the only winter Olympics sport I could watch without getting bored out of my mind in 30 seconds was figure ice skating.

Martinus

Are people really trying to tell me that the preliminary round of curling featuring Denmark vs China will not keep billions of viewers rivetted to the screen?

It's hard to believe....

I'll watch if the Danish team is going to be curling in a fetal position.

Martinus

Btw, Canadians, is this true?

QuoteIn October 2009, the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia through the Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act, 2009, gave host municipalities (Richmond, Vancouver and Whistler) the power to enter residences and other private property to seize signs that are deemed to be "anti-olympic", between February 1 and March 31, 2010. Another amendment changed the Vancouver Charter to allow for fines of up to $10,000 and imprisonment for up to 6 months for sign and bylaw violations.

Just read this on wikipedia so not sure if this is credible, but if true, this seems like a horrible civil rights violation. I could imagine if nazi Germany, soviet Russia or China were organizing olympics, they would have something like this on the books.  :huh:

Neil

Loony leftists don't have any civil rights.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on February 07, 2010, 07:33:16 AM
Loony leftists don't have any civil rights.

I didn't know that being pro-olympics or celebrating countries such as China or Iran as participants makes you a rightwinger.

crazy canuck

Trust Marti to lack the critical skills to understand that a story on the internet is an exaggeration and then further lack the cognitive ability to realize he should not further embellish with his own comments without first getting the answer to his first question as to whether the initial report was accurate.

In other news the Today show is broadcasting from Grouse Mountain which is about a 5 minute drive up the hill from my house.  It is interesting to see some of the stories they are running.  Here is a bit on the 5 things you need to know about Vancouver.  I think they spent about 5 minutes getting background information for the story since they made some errors that are glaring from a Vancouverites view (like they missed the third of the three local mountains and inserted Whistler in place of Seymour) but nobody who watches the today show would know or care.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/35310519#35310519

KRonn

It's hard to believe....
I'll probably try to watch some curling; seems an interesting sport, and an off beat sport at that.

I didn't even realize the winter Olympics were on until about a few days ago when news reported not enough snow in Vancouver area. Send some trains down to Washington DC and ship some of that several feet of snow up there! 

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2010, 02:55:13 PM
I was expecting artisticly unclothed female athletes.  :D
it's a little hard to do in Winter's Games.  Nothing really compares to beach volley.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2010, 12:40:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2010, 02:55:13 PM
I was expecting artisticly unclothed female athletes.  :D
it's a little hard to do in Winter's Games.  Nothing really compares to beach volley.

Some of the costumes used in skating come close.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on February 09, 2010, 12:21:47 PM
I'll probably try to watch some curling; seems an interesting sport, and an off beat sport at that.

:thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2010, 03:55:32 AM
I remember that, as a kid, the only winter Olympics sport I could watch without getting bored out of my mind in 30 seconds was figure ice skating.

Was that the first sign that you were gay, or did others precede it?

:huh:

Josephus

Quote from: KRonn on February 09, 2010, 12:21:47 PM

I didn't even realize the winter Olympics were on until about a few days ago

I don't think they are on yet. I could be wrong, but I think it's next week.

Unless you mean the more general..."Oh, this is Winter Olympics year ."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 09, 2010, 06:00:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2010, 03:55:32 AM

Was that the first sign that you were gay, or did others precede it?

:huh:
The first was when he really, really liked when his Super Uncle used to touch him as a boy.

On topic, I'm looking forward to the hockey at the very least.  My dad loves watching curling, so he'll be tuning in as well I would imagine.  The mascot, Quatchi, is pretty BA as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Is Canada going to do itself proud in the category of placard girls and flower girls?