News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2010, 06:53:04 AMAnd then there's the professional protesters coming to town, looking to turn the Olympics into a WTO meeting or something.

Yeah.

I was kind of grumpy about the Olympics for a while, and it looks like they fucked up the finances so taxes are going to go up, but I find it hard not to enjoy all the people coming to visit.  The "anti-everything" protesters are pretty shit though.  We'll see how it goes.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2010, 10:56:52 AM
You know, if it wasn't for foreigners on web forums I would have no idea there is a winter olympics coming up.   Excitement seems to be nil in the real world.

Have you even been to the real world?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2010, 12:07:01 PM
One can forgive those little* wintry countries this foible, just as one forgives British people for thinking riding a bicycle along a short indoor track is an important sporting event.

*populationwise

p.s. The only winter olympic sport that matters is speed skating. :usa:  ;)

Its odd though, the winter olympics are Sweden's time to shine. All their obscure little sports that normally only the Nordics, Canada and the Russians care about (or even less than that). I'd have thought it would be like the world cup to them.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Well, the people most interested on Languish are the ones who live near Vancouver. They probably aren't usually that excited about the Winter Games either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2010, 02:24:49 PM

Yeah.

I was kind of grumpy about the Olympics for a while, and it looks like they fucked up the finances so taxes are going to go up, but I find it hard not to enjoy all the people coming to visit.  The "anti-everything" protesters are pretty shit though.  We'll see how it goes.

Meh...Once the "anti-everything" protesters get fed some of that famed BC weed, they'll be too mellow to protest anything. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2010, 03:08:24 PM
Well, the people most interested on Languish are the ones who live near Vancouver. They probably aren't usually that excited about the Winter Games either.

I tried saying that earlier in another thread, but a renowned BC Languishite shot me down. I'll say it again, The Winter Olympics do not get half the attention in the rest of the world that the Summer Olympics or the World Cup get. That's why the media normally have to create something like a silly English, sorry British, ski jumper, or a bobsledding team from the Caribbean. Anything to keep people tuned in.

Saying that, I do know that figure skating seems to attract attention, but that's probably because of the model-like star quality of some of the "athletes". And there have been some hotties in the past.

I'll also watch some of the hockey games, if they don't go past my bedtime;
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2010, 03:08:24 PM

Given the content of my previous post in this thread, I must respectfully but forcefully disagree with you. I only live near Vancouver in the same sense that the Mars is near to the Earth. :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Aha, so the British anime nerd demographic is split.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2010, 06:39:24 PM
Aha, so the British anime nerd demographic is split.

"Anime nerd" and "Winter Sports viewer" do not normally mix, I agree. :bowler:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

katmai

I'll be watching to see how the handful of Alaskans do.
Mostly in Cross Country, but also Women's Hockey and Snowboarding.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Are people really trying to tell me that the preliminary round of curling featuring Denmark vs China will not keep billions of viewers rivetted to the screen?

It's hard to believe....

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2010, 08:39:41 PM
Are people really trying to tell me that the preliminary round of curling featuring Denmark vs China will not keep billions of viewers rivetted to the screen?

It's hard to believe....
There will be at least one billion, since not cheering on Chinese Olympic curlers would be considered counter-revolutionary, and any Chinese automaton who doesn't tune in will be sent to the salt mines.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

It's hard to believe....

I'll watch.  :)

I'm watching a fascinating game in the Scotties semi-final between Ontario and PEI right now. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2010, 09:09:57 PM

It's hard to believe....
There will be at least one billion, since not cheering on Chinese Olympic curlers would be considered counter-revolutionary, and any Chinese automaton who doesn't tune in will be sent to the salt mines.

I thought the traditional punishment for counter-revolutionaries was "Introduction to a bullet 101".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be