And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 12:27:34 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 13, 2010, 12:25:31 AM
Not having watched, could somebody give a recap of the torch lighting screw-up?

And tell me who lit it.

They had four pillars that were supposed to rise and form a shape that would be lit. Only three of the pillars got into position.

I saw Gretsky, Steve Nash, and a female I did not recognize. I didn't see the 4th person.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

alfred russel

Quote from: PRC on February 13, 2010, 12:22:20 AM
Other than the death of an athelete on the day of the opening ceremonies and the fucked up torch lighting... that was a good ceremony.  Beijing was a great opening show hard to top.. I don't think they topped it here but they didn't embarass themselves.. other than the torchligthing which they improvized with sublime effort.

That would be true, but fairly or unfairly today will only be remembered for the two negative things.

Beijing will probably never be topped. Even if you match the spectacle, you can't match the drama added by a country of 1 billion trying to use the olympics to open up to the world on its own terms.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:29:40 AM

And tell me who lit it.

They had four pillars that were supposed to rise and form a shape that would be lit. Only three of the pillars got into position.

I saw Gretsky, Steve Nash, and a female I did not recognize. I didn't see the 4th person.

Thank you.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 12:27:17 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2010, 12:09:23 AM
I didn't care about the ceremony, but I just heard a rumor that Rush will play. I guess I have to watch now.  :D

They didn't.

Thanks. Now I can turn it off.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus

Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 12:32:04 AM
Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:29:40 AM

And tell me who lit it.

Thank you.

The third was a female athlete who was named Canada's athlete of the 20th century. I never heard of her, either.
That paraplegic athlete, Hanson, can't remember his first name was the first one in the stadium.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

BTW, I know that Kumaritashvili is a last name with a lot of letters, but is it really that hard for Americans to pronounce?  During the whole night I've heard it only once being pronounced as one word, which is all there is to pronouncing it correctly.

sbr

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 12:40:15 AM
The third was a female athlete who was named Canada's athlete of the 20th century. I never heard of her, either.
That paraplegic athlete, Hanson, can't remember his first name was the first one in the stadium.

Google-fu says it is Nancy Greene

Jacob

So apparently Schwarzenegger was one of the Olympic torch bearers.  Anyone have any idea why?

PRC

Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2010, 02:02:23 AM
So apparently Schwarzenegger was one of the Olympic torch bearers.  Anyone have any idea why?

Because BC makes a shitpile of money selling hydro to California.

Jacob

Quote from: PRC on February 13, 2010, 02:06:42 AMBecause BC makes a shitpile of money selling hydro to California.

But that's not the official reason they give, is it?

PRC

Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2010, 02:10:19 AM
But that's not the official reason they give, is it?

I don't think they gave an official reason... do they need to?

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:28:31 AM
Being totally ignorant of how Canada's political system functions I have a stupid question...

What does the Governor General do? Is it just an honorary title now or does it still have an important function?

99% honourary, but she does have an important role rarely.  The crisis a year ago when Harper asked her to prorogue parliament - she could have said no (and risked being a liberal-appointed, unelected official ignoring what the elected PM says).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2010, 11:25:52 PM
Apparently Canada is a land where tattooed tough guys play violins, tap dance, and wear kilts.

:punk:

Anyone have the names of the fiddlers?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.