News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That was a much better idea then Terry Fox's mother.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

:lmfao:  The "WTF?" look on Gretzky's face was precious as he waited and waited and waited.  I love it when elaborate shit fucks up; it's dreadfully boring otherwise.

MadImmortalMan

I didn't care about the ceremony, but I just heard a rumor that Rush will play. I guess I have to watch now.  :D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PRC

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2010, 12:08:20 AM
:lmfao:  The "WTF?" look on Gretzky's face was precious as he waited and waited and waited.  I love it when elaborate shit fucks up; it's dreadfully boring otherwise.

That was brutal... Steve Nash looked worried too... at least they went on with 3 and improvised to make it happen. 

MadImmortalMan

I love the Canadian anthem.
Not impressed this time though.   <_<
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: PRC on February 13, 2010, 12:11:50 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2010, 12:08:20 AM

That was brutal... Steve Nash looked worried too... at least they went on with 3 and improvised to make it happen.
At least good thing it didn't happen in Beijing, or hundreds of bullet bills would already be printed before the ceremony was over.

alfred russel

The Canadian Olympics day one report card: one dead Georgian, one fucked up torch lighting.

I can't wait for tomorrow!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PRC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2010, 12:12:18 AM
I love the Canadian anthem.
Not impressed this time though.   <_<

That was in slow mo...  you're obviously watching the tape delay, but if you thought the anthem was slow wait 'till you hear the version of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2010, 12:15:05 AM
The Canadian Olympics day one report card: one dead Georgian, one fucked up torch lighting.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

By the end every athlete will be dead and Vancouver will be in ruins.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

PRC

Other than the death of an athelete on the day of the opening ceremonies and the fucked up torch lighting... that was a good ceremony.  Beijing was a great opening show hard to top.. I don't think they topped it here but they didn't embarass themselves.. other than the torchligthing which they improvized with sublime effort.

DontSayBanana

Not having watched, could somebody give a recap of the torch lighting screw-up?
Experience bij!

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2010, 12:09:23 AM
I didn't care about the ceremony, but I just heard a rumor that Rush will play. I guess I have to watch now.  :D

They didn't.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 13, 2010, 12:25:31 AM
Not having watched, could somebody give a recap of the torch lighting screw-up?

And tell me who lit it.

Strix

Being totally ignorant of how Canada's political system functions I have a stupid question...

What does the Governor General do? Is it just an honorary title now or does it still have an important function?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher