News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2010, 02:30:56 PM
Have they said who the final torch bearer is going to be?

No, but most people figure its going to be #99.

The sentimental favourite was Terry Fox's mom but apparently the IOC requires it to be an Olympian of some sort.  She might be with Gretzky when he enters the stadium.  If she is the place is going to go even more nuts then it otherwise would.

Not sure about how he is viewed in the rest of Canada but around here Terry Fox is the patron saint of all things good.

Ed Anger

I watched the HBO movie on Terry Fox eons ago. Made my black heart soften a bit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2010, 03:56:30 PM
I watched the HBO movie on Terry Fox eons ago. Made my black heart soften a bit.
So now you have a soft, black heart.

Who is Terry Fox?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2010, 04:00:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2010, 03:56:30 PM
So now you have a soft, black heart.

Who is Terry Fox?

Canadian kid who lost his leg to bone cancer.  Decided he was going to run across Canada to raise funds for cancer research.  He started in Newfoundland, got to Ontario before the cancer re-appeared and had to call it off.  He died about a year later.  This was about 1980-1981.

Millions of dollars are raised every year in Canada in various Terry Fox runs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 10, 2010, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2010, 02:30:56 PM
Have they said who the final torch bearer is going to be?

No, but most people figure its going to be #99.

The sentimental favourite was Terry Fox's mom but apparently the IOC requires it to be an Olympian of some sort.  She might be with Gretzky when he enters the stadium.  If she is the place is going to go even more nuts then it otherwise would.

Not sure about how he is viewed in the rest of Canada but around here Terry Fox is the patron saint of all things good.

Terry Fox, as far as I know, is a patron saint out here too. I think his mom would be a far greater choice than Gretzky, but that's the IOC for you. Would be nice to see her share the limelight.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

He's a Patron Saint the demographic that was around when he ran & actually can remember him running.

Terry Fox's mother? Really.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2010, 04:05:29 PM
Canadian kid who lost his leg to bone cancer.  Decided he was going to run across Canada to raise funds for cancer research.  He started in Newfoundland, got to Ontario before the cancer re-appeared and had to call it off.  He died about a year later.  This was about 1980-1981.

Millions of dollars are raised every year in Canada in various Terry Fox runs.

He died in 1981.  :Canuck:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2010, 04:28:23 PM

Really. 

I just came back inside from watching the Torch come down my street.  It was super cool.  Lots of people out waving flags and cheering.  A really great experience.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 10, 2010, 09:16:45 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2010, 04:28:23 PM

Really. 

I just came back inside from watching the Torch come down my street.  It was super cool.  Lots of people out waving flags and cheering.  A really great experience.

Yeah. They were in front of my building at work in toronto, about two months ago or so; so we braved the cold just to go cheer. Not normally my kind of thing, but I thought...hey how often does this happen in my own country....and better someone else's city than mine.  ;)

By that I mean...I really don't think Toronto can handle an Olympics....summer or winter, and I hope we never get it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2010, 10:09:49 PM
By that I mean...I really don't think Toronto can handle an Olympics....summer or winter, and I hope we never get it.
Given Toronto's failure at sport over the last couple of decades, I would imagine that a Toronto Olympics would be a disaster for everyone concerned.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Grey Fox

@ CC & Jacob. If you are wondering what popular music sounds like in Quebec head over to the Francophonie place since everyone & their dogs who has had mild success in the past 5 years will perform there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 11, 2010, 09:48:45 AM
@ CC & Jacob. If you are wondering what popular music sounds like in Quebec head over to the Francophonie place since everyone & their dogs who has had mild success in the past 5 years will perform there.

The press is saying it is one of the must see venues in the City.  Very good reviews.

Mrs. CC and your youngest son went to the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony last night.  They came back raving about how good it was.  But like good Canadians they kept their promise not to leak any secrets.  Well they told me a little bit, but I am sworn to secrecy. :P

Bottom line.  Have no fear.  It is nothing like the joke which was the Canadian portion of the performance during the closing ceremonies of the last Olympics.

Grey Fox

In Beijing? What did we do?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 11, 2010, 09:48:45 AM

Why would someone wonder that?   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.