News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey for the EU!

Started by The Brain, February 04, 2010, 04:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Just disgusting on so many levels. For one, to kill someone for some of the reasons stated by those who follow such customs. Then for a family to kill their own, especially for parents, and other male relatives, to be able to do this. Just barbaric. How do loving parents and a community conspire to kill kids, young girls usually? Do they actually feel good about themselves after? One would think that long ago this kind of thing would have become repulsive to them, no matter their beliefs.

Pat

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 05, 2010, 09:20:49 AM
Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 07:11:33 AM

Quite right! I've been to Turkey and Greece several times, and they really are the same, except the Turks are less annoying. In Greece people would often talk to you about their dislike of Turks and of Jews (one time the guy running our hotel said Hitler might've been on to something). I was in Turkey during Greece's victory of the European Championship, and most turks didn't seem to care when I talked to them about it. Turks are generally more chilled out than Greeks, especially Turks from the western coastal areas. And if you talk to them they'll tell you most Turks who emigrate to Europe are poor peasants from rural areas who've practically never been to a city and give Turks a bad name.

For some reason, the Greeks abroad do not engage in Turkish immigrant-like shenanigans so colour me skeptical.
They are more like Italians or even  Spaniards.

Turks from the western coastal areas are like Italians or Spaniards too. Though the same can not be said of those from rural areas in eastern Turkey.

Grallon

What exactly are the expected benefits of Turkey's entry into the EU?  I mean aside from cheap labor?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 09:40:52 AM

Quite right! I've been to Turkey and Greece several times, and they really are the same, except the Turks are less annoying. In Greece people would often talk to you about their dislike of Turks and of Jews (one time the guy running our hotel said Hitler might've been on to something). I was in Turkey during Greece's victory of the European Championship, and most turks didn't seem to care when I talked to them about it. Turks are generally more chilled out than Greeks, especially Turks from the western coastal areas. And if you talk to them they'll tell you most Turks who emigrate to Europe are poor peasants from rural areas who've practically never been to a city and give Turks a bad name.

For some reason, the Greeks abroad do not engage in Turkish immigrant-like shenanigans so colour me skeptical.

Turks from the western coastal areas are like Italians or Spaniards too. Though the same can not be said of those from rural areas in eastern Turkey.

Unless you count the ladino speaking ones, I still don't see them like Italians or Spaniards, cultures are not alike. I'll grant you they are somewhat westernised though.

Viking

Quote from: Grallon on February 05, 2010, 09:51:51 AM
What exactly are the expected benefits of Turkey's entry into the EU?  I mean aside from cheap labor?

G.

Solidifying the democratic institutions of Turkey.
Strengthening Turkey as an object for investment and as a market for Europeans.
Reducing the immigration pressure from Turkey by providing opportunities for Turks in Turkey.
Strengthening the position of the Universalist Humanist Philosophy of Europe.
Strengthening peace and stability in all of europe.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Pat

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 05, 2010, 10:53:36 AM
Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 09:40:52 AM

Unless you count the ladino speaking ones, I still don't see them like Italians or Spaniards, cultures are not alike. I'll grant you they are somewhat westernised though.

I'd say the culture is more mediterranean than anything else. A place like Antalya or Izmir feels no less western than any spanish or italian city. It's certainly not in the arab or muslim cultural sphere.

Josquius

The big thing I see against Turkey in the EU is the massive border that would give the EU.
Its easy to control the current border with Turkey but the Turkish border...well we'd have loads of Arabs and Iranians and Afghans (via Iran) storming over and getting right into the EU.
I still support Turkish entry of course (though it would be better with a independant Kurdistan first) but thats the main valid argument.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on February 05, 2010, 11:04:26 AM

G.

Solidifying the democratic institutions of Turkey.
Strengthening Turkey as an object for investment and as a market for Europeans.
Reducing the immigration pressure from Turkey by providing opportunities for Turks in Turkey.
Strengthening the position of the Universalist Humanist Philosophy of Europe.
Strengthening peace and stability in all of europe.

:lol:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 11:31:30 AM
I'd say the culture is more mediterranean than anything else. A place like Antalya or Izmir feels no less western than any spanish or italian city. It's certainly not in the arab or muslim cultural sphere.

Somehow I don't see the traditional aggressiveness of Italian males working that well in a Muslim country, whatever moderate.

Agelastus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on February 05, 2010, 01:59:25 AM
Wiki's list of countries by murder rate has Turkey's at a bit higher than the USA, at 6.23 per 100k, which would give them about 4500 per year, if it's correct.

I'm getting curious here - am I on some people's ignore list so my posts don't show up? :glare:

As for letting Turkey into the EU? It should be done for the best reason possible...it will upset the French. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2010, 11:43:28 AM
well we'd have loads of Arabs and Iranians and Afghans (via Iran) storming over and getting right into the EU.

As opposed to...?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Your annoyance alone would make it worth it.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2010, 11:43:28 AM
The big thing I see against Turkey in the EU is the massive border that would give the EU.
Its easy to control the current border with Turkey but the Turkish border...well we'd have loads of Arabs and Iranians and Afghans (via Iran) storming over and getting right into the EU.
I still support Turkish entry of course (though it would be better with a independant Kurdistan first) but thats the main valid argument.

Pfft, that argument doesn't hold any water. Most illegal inmigration come through airports, not by sneaking through the land borders at night, commando infiltration-wise. And there are still entire boatloads of africans, pakistanis and others coming to the shores of Greece, Italy and Spain anyway.

citizen k

Quote from: The Larch on February 05, 2010, 05:41:14 PMMost illegal inmigration come through airports, not by sneaking through the land borders at night, commando infiltration-wise.

How does that work? Don't you need papers and whatnot at customs when you get off the plane? I imagine most illegal immigrants enter the EU by crossing the eastern border and from smugglers in the Med.

The Larch

Quote from: citizen k on February 05, 2010, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 05, 2010, 05:41:14 PMMost illegal inmigration come through airports, not by sneaking through the land borders at night, commando infiltration-wise.

How does that work? Don't you need papers and whatnot at customs when you get off the plane? I imagine most illegal immigrants enter the EU by crossing the eastern border and from smugglers in the Med.

At least in Spain, the main way of inmigrating illegally is over staying a tourist visa, and number wise the main entrance of illegal inmigrants is Barajas airport in Madrid. Of course there's traficking too, mostly with Africans.