Main Menu

Turkey for the EU!

Started by The Brain, February 04, 2010, 04:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2010, 04:12:23 AM
Yeah, there is a difference there.

For example:

Person X kills person Y. Family of person Y goes to beat the shit out of the family of person X: blood feud, only encountered in barbaric countries.

Person X (who happens to be a cop) kills person Y. Thousands of people who never met Y go to beat the shit out of the police, the Man and any innocent bystanders, looting and blowing shit up for miles on end: riot, encountered in advanced and democratic countries (Greece, US).
There are more options, though.  For instance:
Person X (who happens to be a moron, like his countrymen) kills person Y.  Family of person Y goes on rampage to beat the shit out of any Jews they can find; encountered in typical central European countries (Germany, Poland).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2010, 11:23:07 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2010, 04:12:23 AM
Yeah, there is a difference there.

For example:

Person X kills person Y. Family of person Y goes to beat the shit out of the family of person X: blood feud, only encountered in barbaric countries.

Person X (who happens to be a cop) kills person Y. Thousands of people who never met Y go to beat the shit out of the police, the Man and any innocent bystanders, looting and blowing shit up for miles on end: riot, encountered in advanced and democratic countries (Greece, US).
There are more options, though.  For instance:
Person X (who happens to be a moron, like his countrymen) kills person Y.  Family of person Y goes on rampage to beat the shit out of any Jews they can find; encountered in typical central European countries (Germany, Poland).

Hey, you could give your students this exercise: choose one of the above three that does not fit in with the other two.

Hint: the one that hasn't happened in the last 10 (or 20, or 30) years.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2010, 03:37:09 PM

Hey, you could give your students this exercise: choose one of the above three that does not fit in with the other two.

Hint: the one that hasn't happened in the last 10 (or 20, or 30) years.

Yes, once you killed em all it became a bit harder.

garbon

I think the second one is the different one, it involves thousands of people, not just the family.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on February 05, 2010, 03:06:32 PM
Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 11:31:30 AM
I'd say the culture is more mediterranean than anything else. A place like Antalya or Izmir feels no less western than any spanish or italian city. It's certainly not in the arab or muslim cultural sphere.

Somehow I don't see the traditional aggressiveness of Italian males working that well in a Muslim country, whatever moderate.

North Africa also has that mediterranean element yet it's also arab and/or berber and muslim so I am not convinced cf. Morocco which had colonisation-era influences from the likes of Spain, Portugal and France. They applied for the EU as well...

In a different way, I was also about to ask about the quality of chorizo/chouriço and prosciutto/ham. ;)