And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey for the EU!

Started by The Brain, February 04, 2010, 04:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/04/girl-buried-alive-turkey

QuoteTurkish girl, 16, buried alive for talking to boys
Death reopens debate over 'honour' killings in Turkey, which account for half of all the country's murders

Robert Tait in Istanbul guardian.co.uk, Thursday 4 February 2010 19.03 GMT Article history

Turkish police have recovered the body of a 16-year-old girl they say was buried alive by relatives in an "honour" killing carried out as punishment for talking to boys.

The girl, who has been identified only by the initials MM, was found in a sitting position with her hands tied, in a two-metre hole dug under a chicken pen outside her home in Kahta, in the south-eastern province of Adiyaman.

Police made the discovery in December after a tip-off from an informant, the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reported on its website.

The girl had previously been reported missing.

The informant told the police she had been killed following a family "council" meeting.

Her father and grandfather are said to have been arrested and held in custody pending trial. It is unclear whether they have been charged. The girl's mother was arrested but was later released.

Media reports said the father had told relatives he was unhappy that his daughter – one of nine children – had male friends. The grandfather is said to have beaten her for having relations with the opposite sex.

A postmortem examination revealed large amounts of soil in her lungs and stomach, indicating that she had been alive and conscious while being buried. Her body showed no signs of bruising.

The discovery will reopen the emotive debate in Turkey about "honour" killings, which are particularly prevalent in the impoverished south-east.

Official figures have indicated that more than 200 such killings take place each year, accounting for around half of all murders in Turkey.

Oh those lovable Kurds. All cuddly and shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

shitty barbarians.
do not want

The Brain

I think it's amusing that many people actually say that they want these freaks in the EU.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2010, 04:35:28 PM
I think it's amusing that many people actually say that they want these freaks in the EU.

You already have Balkantard countries like Bulgaria and Hungary.  I can't see how Turkey could be any worse than that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Turkey only has 400 murders a year?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2010, 04:56:36 PM

Hrmm. But they're, umm, dirty?

I'm not sure what to say here. There is a crime, and the police have arrested those responsible and are keeping track of it.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2010, 04:35:28 PM

Do you?

Letting Turkey into the EU is the best way of making sure the non-freaks remain in charge in Turkey. I consider that a laudable goal, don't you?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

Not really. It's like saying I should let in my smelly, obnoxious, dirty neighbours to live in my house, because otherwise they will wash even less and play music more loudly.

Josephus

Yeah. Good thing America isn't trying to get in the EU
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

That can't be true, surely?

Letting Turkey in is right because they deserve it once they've made some more of the necessary changes to solidify their democracy.  On the other hand we should kick out the Cypriots.

Edit: And the Baltics and Romania and Bulgaria.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on February 04, 2010, 05:24:23 PM
Not really. It's like saying I should let in my smelly, obnoxious, dirty neighbours to live in my house, because otherwise they will wash even less and play music more loudly.

They already "live in your house" though; aren't there about seven million of them in Germany for example?

I think Turkey should be allowed into the EU, but maybe that's because I worked alongside a secular Turk for several years (who kept trying to set me up with a Japanese girl she knew, but everybody has their little foibles after all...)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Pat

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:41:41 PM

Letting Turkey in is right because they deserve it once they've made some more of the necessary changes to solidify their democracy.  On the other hand we should kick out the Cypriots.

Edit: And the Baltics and Romania and Bulgaria.

Why the Baltics?

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:41:41 PM

I think it means 400 honour killings a year, not 400 killings in total. Actually, according to the last figures I can find, Turkey has a murder rate roughly three times that of the UK (per 100000 people.) Although it won't be long before Glasgow surpasses this rate, apparently...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Quote from: Pat on February 04, 2010, 05:47:49 PM
Why the Baltics?
Their discrimination against Baltic Russians is far worse than should be tolerable in the EU.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Martinus on February 04, 2010, 05:24:23 PM

More like letting your libidinous, mustachioed neighbors into your homeowners association, because otherwise the mutants they keep in their cellar will break out and murder them and then start throwing firebombs at you.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?